Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    New Chicago Production of Dandelion Wine

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Chicago Production of Dandelion Wine
 Login/Join

posted
I just read in today's Chicago Sun Times that a new stage production of Ray Bradbury's play "Dandelion Wine" will be staged by the Chicago Children's Theater at the Steppenwolf Upstairs Theater at 1650 North Halstead. The play will run from November 10, 2006 to December 31, 2006. The group's website is www.chicagochildrenstheater.org.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Richard,

Posts: 2458 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just found an interview with Ray in relation to this production:

http://www.chicagochildrenstheatre.org/blog/2006/08/an-...th-ray-bradbury.html

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out my comments below.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! What a fantastic interview with Ray. Thank you Phil for first of all finding it, and secondly for sharing it with the rest of us.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great interview - thanks! Interesting in that I was at that book signing in Ventura he spoke of as attending two days previous. He gave a wonderful lecture.

Uncle Forry mentioned RB as one who would sit for an interview for my doc, and so at the book signing/lecture in Ventura, as my turn approached, I readied myself and, stepping up to the table, thrust my copy of "Dark Carnival" towards the great man, and as he signed, I briefly told him of my plans and said I would be calling him in a month or so. Without a word, he flipped to the back of the dust jacket, scribbled something, and gave me back the book, saying, "here's my phone number - call me next week at noon."

Wow.

Well, I called, he answered, and the rest is documented!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A wonderful interview. So, I will start my freshmen classes off this fall with Dandelion Wine. This article will help serve as background to how the novel works, in style and purpose. These are great explanations and insights that, too often, today's youth may not always allow themselves time to understand. (Mr. B's metaphors.)

I routinely assign a report when finishing the DW unit. It involves a interview with a senior relative or neighbor. The students may take notes or record the conversation, which is based on a wide range of questions conjured up in a class session, since 9th graders typically have other things on their minds than sitting down and talking with a "time machine." However, the written compositions that come out of the assignment are often the most rewarding and interesting for students and teacher alike. In addition, I require the students to produce two copies of the report so that one may be presented to the person with whom they have spoken. The narrations that arise prove to be hilarious, emotional, proud, lonely, and loving. True journeys back in time.

(Phil, I just made a hard copy of this interview and will mention you in my explanation of how I came by the handout. "Passing it on," so to speak! Thanks.)

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is interesting that Ray realises that he is, himself, one of those 'time machines' like Col. Freeleigh. I hadn't really thought of that until now. (Until now, I've been thinking of him as the hero of "The Toynbee Convector", talking up a glorious future in order to bring one about.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the chance yesterday to see the Chicago Children Theater's production of DANDELION WINE yesterday. It was excellent! The play will definitely appeal to grown-ups as well as youngsters, and I highly recommend it to anyone living in the area or planning to visit Chicago before the end of the year. The play has also received rave reviews from the Chicago Sun Times, the Chicago Reader, and the on-line ChicagoCritic.Com. To check out some of the reviews, click on the following link on the Chicago Children's Theater website, and then click on the links under the heading "Read the reviews":

http://www.chicagochildrenstheatre.org/dandelion-wine.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Richard,

posted Hide Post
I note that the link set forth in a previous post for the fine interview Ray Bradbury gave in connection with the 2006 Chicago production of DANDELION WINE, by the Chicago Children's Theater, no longer takes you to the interview. Rather, the link to access the interview has changed to the link below. I still remember attending that excellent production almost fourteen years ago!

https://www.steppenwolf.org/ar...w-with-ray-bradbury/