Ray Bradbury Forums
Ray Bradbury research paper.

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791083901/m/3431082882

01 February 2007, 08:32 AM
tomservo
Ray Bradbury research paper.
For my high school english II class, we have to do a report on an American author that shows his life through his works. I chose Ray Bradbury. If anyone can think of any reocurring themes that he uses or things in his books that reflect his real life it would be really helpful. Thanks.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
01 February 2007, 08:50 AM
Doug Spaulding
quote:
Originally posted by tomservo:
I chose Ray Bradbury.

You chose well, young tom.

His primary recurring theme would be to "Live Forever"! Beyond that, it gets complicated, but any reader of RB is up to the task, I'm sure.

As far as reflecting his own life, have you read Dandelion Wine?

Consider the "Live Forever" theme, and research it, and you shall see.

Do well tom.

"Live Forever!"
01 February 2007, 08:58 AM
Braling II
tomservo, Poke around some of the archives here. Also, you can do a search with keywords of your choosing.
One thing I know for sure, more than any author I know, Bradbury is able not only to actually recall his childhood, but writes about childhood, youth, and growing up in general in such a way as to transport his readers back into the memories and emotions and wonders of their own youth.
Start with "Dandelion Wine".
01 February 2007, 12:34 PM
WildGravity
Tom servo!

I love mystery science theatre 3000

If there is a God, I know he likes to rock.
05 October 2010, 11:38 PM
patricia39
Why don't you try to get the book "The Bradbury Chronicles: The Life of Ray Bradbury" written by Sam Weller? This book outlined Ray Bradbury's career, from his early beginnings in pulp style fiction to his more mainstream style stories, from story writer to novel writer, including commentary about his most famous works. I am sure the book will certainly help you accomplishing your paper.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: philnic,
06 October 2010, 01:15 AM
philnic
Excellent suggestion, patricia 39, and welcome to the board.

However, I hope tomservo has finished his February 2007 paper by now!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
06 October 2010, 03:01 AM
biplane1
I had to chuckle Phil as that was my same thought, i.e, that, hopefully, Tom had finished his report seeing that some three years had gone by.
21 June 2012, 04:18 AM
James Robinson
quote:
Ray Bradbury

Here is my little contribution to your report. Hoping it can help you.

Ray Douglas Bradbury (August 22, 1920 – June 5, 2012) was an American fantasy, science fiction, horror and mystery fiction writer. Best known for his dystopian novel Fahrenheit 451 (1953) and for the science fiction and horror stories gathered together as The Martian Chronicles (1950) and The Illustrated Man (1951), Bradbury was one of the most celebrated 20th-century American writers. Many of Bradbury's works have been adapted into television shows or films.

21 June 2012, 07:35 AM
philnic
Thankyou for your little contribution, James Robinson. As Deputy Moderator, I have snipped out your commercial links which have no relevance to Bradbury. It is now OVER FIVE YEARS since the original post in this thread, so I sincerely hope tomservo got his report finished.

I have a mental picture of a 23-year-old tomservo, still unable to graduate from high school, because he hasn't finished that darned report!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
21 June 2012, 07:24 PM
fjp451
Phil, ...this may be a true work in progress!

"Jump off the cliff and build your wings on the way down!"
04 November 2012, 08:36 PM
daavidfischer
Well, it is pretty obvious for everyone that tomservo would have finished his project by now. But just to discuss about authors who write their own stories, I should say that Ray Bradbury is one of the classic examples. Well suggested by many here.

replacing a toilet

05 November 2012, 06:53 AM
Doug Spaulding
quote:
Originally posted by daavidfischer:
But just to discuss about authors who write their own stories, I should say that Ray Bradbury is one of the classic examples.

replacing a toilet

Yes, I much prefer authors who write their own stories to those who don't.

And I love me a good link about replacing a toilet - mighty good readin'!

"Live Forever!"
05 November 2012, 08:52 AM
philnic
But did you notice that the genius who paid for the URL for the toilet replacements couldn't even spell "genius", using "genuis" instead?

(I have now REMOVED that URL, so you will have to take my word for it.)

- Phil

05 November 2012, 08:36 PM
Doug Spaulding
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
I have now REMOVED that URL, so you will have to take my word for it.

Well, shoot!

"Live Forever!"
25 October 2013, 05:06 AM
fjp451
"Martian Chronicles" moment?!

RE:
Genevieve Selsor - Genevieve is a large woman. She eats constantly and seems childishly impatient and immature when with Walter.

[fjp451 was commenting on a spam post which I have now removed - philnic]