Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Moby Dick from the Subterranean Press website
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moby Dick from the Subterranean Press website
 Login/Join

posted
http://www.subterraneanpress.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?...=PRE&Product_Count=5

Moby Dick: the Screenplay
By Ray Bradbury
--to be published in June 2008

Dust jacket by Jon Foster

Trade: $35
ISBN: 978-1-59606-180-4

Lettered: $400

Length: 185 pages

At last, more than fifty years after the classic movie's release, Ray Bradbury has allowed the original screenplay for his treatment of Herman Melville's Moby Dick to be published.

This is not the shooting script, which saw input from director John Huston, among others, but the version as Bradbury originally envisioned it, the pure tale before studio influence.

Subterranean Press is proud to present Moby Dick: the Screenplay in two unique editions:

Trade: fully cloth bound hardcover

Lettered: 26 signed copies -- the only version autographed by Mr. B -- with an exclusive publication of his working notes toward the screenplay.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In another thread, we were discussing Bradbury, Welles and Moby Dick. Since it's relevant to this thread, I have brought the discussion over here instead!

The person who knows most about Bradbury's Moby Dick screenplay (apart from Mr B himself, of course) is Jon Eller of the Center for Ray Bradbury Studies. So I asked him if he could answer the question of whether Welles or Bradbury wrote the Father Mapple sermon. Here's what he told me:

In Chapter 4 of my forthcoming book, Becoming Ray Bradbury, I discuss the details of the Orson Welles reading of the Father Mapple sermon.

At the time Welles was in London preparing his own stage version of Moby Dick, which opened as a "play within a play" concept some months after Welles read the Father Mapple sermon for Huston on the film set. Welles read his own stage version of the sermon for the first take, but Huston persuaded Welles to read from Bradbury's script for the second take. The second take is supposed to be the one used in the film, but I have not yet checked it against our copy of the final release script here in the Bradbury Center.

Lawrence Grobel's The Hustons (p. 426) quotes cinematographer Ossie Morris as his primary source; Ray was no longer with the crew during the shooting stage of production, but he heard the same story later (probably from Jeannie Sims or Jack Clayton). The Welles stage version is discussed at length in Frank Brady's Citizen Welles (pp. 482-485).

Best and regards to all,

Jon
--
Jonathan R. Eller, Professor of English
Associate Director, Institute for American Thought
Co-founder, Center for Ray Bradbury Studies
Indiana University School of Liberal Arts

So the FINAL verdict awaits direct comparison of the film with the Bradbury script! But from what Jon says, Welles was justified in saying that he wrote the sermon himself - although if he were telling the WHOLE truth he would have added that he actually filmed two versions of the scene.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil,
THAT'S SOME AWESOME SLEUTHING. Profound thanks to you and the professor.

I waited over 25 years to see Welles' F for Fake.

I like the word you used before -- "hyperbole" and the phrase you used here -- "if he were telling the WHOLE truth...."

Thank you again.

Posts: 9 | Registered: 13 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was F FOR FAKE worth the 25-year wait? I think it's one of the best things Welles did in his later career. I love the bit where he reveals that the film started off truthfully, but that at a certain point he slipped into lying.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's probably been there a good few weeks (I haven't looked for a while), but the cover art for Moby Dick is now visible on Subterranean's site:

And they say they will be collecting the books from the printer later this week:

http://subterraneanpress.com/index.php/2008/07/09/ray-b...ock-later-this-week/

- Phil

posted Hide Post
I feel like a kid waiting for his Winter Solstice gift. The DVD player is queued up to Padre Mapple’s sermon. The moment I get the book, Moby Dick, A Screenplay, I will read the script’s passage while listening to Orson Wells give the speech. I cannot sleep not knowing whose words were actually in the movie. Smiler

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Methinks it will take several playings to disentangle the dialogue. Such fun!

I love the way Ahab, on the book cover, gradually merges into white (like the whale).

- Phil

posted Hide Post
OK, there's three good words recently herein.

Solstice, methinks, and disentangle.

(Herein is a good word)

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
(Herein is a good word)

(...which also happens to be a perfectly valid word in German, albeit pronounced differently.)

(Albeit is a good word.) (Not to be confused with the German word "Arbeit".)

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Parenthese is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Parenthese. Verb. To place inside one or more parenthesis.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Phil, let's not get too technical!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy Solstice, my copy of Moby Dick, A Screenplay is in my chubby hands. The book is beautifully produced. Real linen boards, quality end papers. Quality pages. You've seen the cover but the Rockwell Kent plate of the whale is beautiful.

Not to brew a pot of tea...

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
jkt, have you got a special advance copy, or have they started despatching to everyone?

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
jkt, have you got a special advance copy, or have they started despatching to everyone?

I have one on order from SubPress, that has yet to arrive. My local bookmonger, Mystery and Imagination, received 30 copies, on Monday. Yes, I know, I'll have two but one can never have too many books.

John King Tarpinian