Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Television in our future?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Television in our future?
 Login/Join

posted
In the story The Pedestrian everyone watches t.v.
The main character is picked u by a cop car because he is not in his house watching t.v.

Does anyone think that this could possibly happen in our future? Perhaps not t.v. but maybe computers?

please share your thoughts Smiler

Posts: 6 | Registered: 20 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolutely. We will someday all be arrested for not being on the computer.

Come on. Mr. Mead was not arrested for not watching tv. He was arrested for being the only one walking on the street. He was the only one who didn't have all his lights on in the house.

So, in order not to be arrested, make sure others are walking on the street. And leave all your lights on when you leave your house.

Right?

Posts: 384 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh i see what you mean.
Actually though, I think his house was the only house with all his lights on, and the others were dark?
I'm not sure. I should go read that story again.

Posts: 6 | Registered: 20 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The bottom line is that the pedestrian is arrested for aberrant behaviour - behaving differently from society's norms. The not-watching-of-TV is part of his deviancy, but notice how Bradbury, as a creative writer, doesn't just settle for that. He could have written a story about a man who stays indoors defiantly not watching TV, but instead he works on extending the contrast between the watchers and non-watcher. They stay in, he goes out. They mass together, he is a loner (except in Bradbury's stage play and TV version, where he inexplicably is given a walking companion!) They sit in the dark, he has the lights on (or vice versa).

It's a metaphor, and an extended one at that. What Bradbury does best, and what makes him unique.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I definitely hope that this doesn't happen in our future. While I can say that I'm all for technology, like TVs and computers and whatnot, I also like the natural things of the earth, and would hate to live in a time where simply being outside was unheard of.

However, I know that humans - myself definitely included - can be lazy; with that said, who knows? I suppose we all just have to pray that things that are to come work out for the best, and hope that if something like that ever does happen in our future, that there is more than just one lonely soul trying to go against the crowd.

Savannah C.

Posts: 2 | Location: High Desert, California | Registered: 20 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Bradbury has often been quoted as saying he means to prevent these possible futures not just predict them. And also "The Future" is what we build not just let happen.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whatnot is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil, DS, jtk: Speaking of "The Pedestrian" any details on this?

http://www.imdb.com/video/wab/vi2870608665/

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
Phil, DS, jtk: Speaking of "The Pedestrian" any details on this?

http://www.imdb.com/video/wab/vi2870608665/

This was shown two (three?)summers at in Ventura, CA. Doug was there and pays closer attention to the specifics of such things., he'll know more.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This was Chard Hayward's short film which was premiered at The First Annual Ray Bradbury Film Festival in Ventura back in October of 2007.

Chard is a friend of Malcolm McDowell and Michael Kelly (the producer of the festival). I have spoken with Chard by telephone, but have not met him other than at the festival.

A pretty good film.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I told you guys that Doug pays attention to these things. I set 'em up he knocks them out of the park.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ooh, a Bradbury-related film that has escaped my study and scrutiny! I must track this one down!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Ooh, a Bradbury-related film that has escaped my study and scrutiny! I must track this one down!

Ironically, if you had not been playing tourist when you attended the conference here in California you might have been able to have attended the event. Big Grin

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
I would have to have been a TIME tourist, as I was in California in Summer 2008, but the film was screened in Fall 2007 Frowner

I've got to get me a Toynbee convector!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
I would have to have been a TIME tourist, as I was in California in Summer 2008, but the film was screened in Fall 2007 Frowner

I've got to get me a Toynbee convector!

To my defense, I did not know if the event in question was two or three Summers ago. Wink

When you count your Bradbury events in the 100s a year they blend together into one big happy party.

John King Tarpinian