Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    When did B's frienship with Mugnaini start?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When did B's frienship with Mugnaini start?
 Login/Join

posted
I've read the entire Bradbury an illustrted Life, but it hasn't the date, and I need it for a work I'm writing,
thank you

Posts: 73 | Location: portugal | Registered: 10 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry I can't help. I hope someone out there can help.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray Bradbury first saw a painting by Joseph Mugnaini in a gallery. Was the painting for sale? There is an interesting story to go with it... and you can see the story on the videos available on this WebSite....See: (At Home With Ray)

To answer your question....Ray met the artist not long thereafter. That was Spring, 1952......

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, I've tried to watch the videos, but the sound doesn't come right so I don't understand a word B says. But thank you anyway

Posts: 73 | Location: portugal | Registered: 10 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
April, 1952. Lack of basic facts (such as his full name--the Ray-vs.-Raymond debate rages on) and dates of important events are a serious deficiency in "An Illustrated Life" covered much better in the (now rare and out-of-print) "Ray Bradbury Companion" by William F. Nolan.

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ana:::

You might try clicking on:
www.geocities.com/tsinniger/Bradbury.html

....lots of interesting illustrated early stuff on Ray, plus Nolan's, "Ray Bradbury Companion"...mentioned above by Dandelion.....

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am fortunate to own a few of the earlier works RB/J. Mugnaini collaborated on. Classic stuff! I also found an HG Wells War of Worlds and Time Machine box set. Pics are fantastic!

For a glimpse of the JM genius see: (includes RB references & "narrative")
http://www.tobeycmossgallery.com/bradbury.html

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 01-06-2003).]

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjpalumbo:::
Thanks for getting a glimpse of the paintings.
The painting of...."Leviathan 99" is special... It was a play Ray produced long while ago....back on a unused sound stage in Los Angeles. I went to nearly every performance... nearly all 10 or 12. Boy was it good! Music was created by Lalo Schifrin. Maybe Ray has it in book form manuscript somewheres amongst his wares.....

posted Hide Post
Thanks fjpalumbo!

Those images were exquisite and the Bradbury narrative was a treat.

Ironically, a few days ago I was examining the jacket art for "Let's All Kill Constance", it got me thinking about Joseph Mugnaini and his work. I assume he is dead. Is that the case? If so, when did he pass away? What was the last work he illustrated?

Thanks again!

Posts: 85 | Location: San Dimas, CA USA | Registered: 25 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dates for Joseph Mugnaini are given as 1912-1992. Here is a site with nice articles on him by Norman Corwin and Ray Bradbury from 1981:

Ten Views Of The Moon www.tobeycmossgallery.com/tenviews.html

Here is another nice Bradbury source:

The Bradbury Chronicles www.cyberhaven.com/books/sciencefiction/ thebradburychronicles.html

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion & Others:

Try clicking on:
http://www.escrow.net/Joe%20Mugnaini%20Art.htm

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 01-14-2003).]