Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Summer Morning, Summer Night
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Summer Morning, Summer Night
 Login/Join

posted
Twenty-two new Greentown short stories, with seventeen having never been published. Scheduled to be published this fall.

http://www.subterraneanpress.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?...e=B&Product_Count=12

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe this is the same book that was sent only to those who ordered the signed (by Ray and Stephen King), 100-edition version of PS Publishing's re-issue of DANDELION WINE at the price of $750.

It's nice to know the book is going to receive a wider release so more people can enjoy it. This volume of stories received a great deal of critical claim and deserved to be issued at a more affordable price.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Richard,

Posts: 2455 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It does indeed sound like this expensive PS offering!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The front page of Subterranean does specifically say that it is in fact the same volume put out by PS in the $750 edition.

Posts: 112 | Location: Around Greentown | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
It does indeed sound like this expensive PS offering!

It sure is, my Wulfrunian friend, and glad I am to see it - I sure couldn't afford the $750 dollar edition!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wulfrunian is a good word. I wonder how many people on this board (aside from me and Doug) know what it means...

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wulfrunian: a native of Wolverhampton, West Midlands, U.K.

posted Hide Post
Mrs. Braling is a Mancunian.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If there were a prize, Richard would have just won it.

BII: a WOMANcunian, surely!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Any way I can get my $750 back from PS? I unfortunately was a sucker who purchased the expensive edition.

Now I agree that this book is too valuable to just be limited to 100 copies, but I feel this type of release should have been delayed a couple of years, so the purchasers of this book wouldn't feel ripped off. As far as I know the $750 edition isn't sold out and now never will be with the release of the new edition.

This has to be one of the weirdest decisions by Ray, and one I'm not very happy about. This now makes me wonder should I hold off on all Ray Bradbury small press expensive editions? I have to say my trust is a little rattled right now.

Posts: 81 | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
gguthrie, as a long-time book collector myself and one who also bought the PS Publishing 100-copy edition, I am not at all upset by the release of the Subterranean Press 2000-copy edition. In fact, as noted above, I think it's a great idea for more people to be able to read these stories. The PS Publishing version of SUMMER MORNING, SUMMER NIGHT will always be the true first edition of the book and, given its 100-copy limitation, likely to be more valuable and prized by book collectors in the future. At least, that's my personal opinion. Plus, you also received one of the 100-copy limited edition of DANDELION WINE signed not only by Ray Bradbury but Stephen King, who wrote the introduction to this edition (Mr. King only signed the 100-copy limited edition of DANDELION WINE). However, at the end of the day, if you really want your money back, I suggest you write or e-mail directly to PS Publishing and request it in exchange for your return of the two books (this assumes, of course, that you bought the two books directly from them). Best of luck.

posted Hide Post
Nah, I think the best thing to do would be to donate it to someone who loves Bradbury, but could not afford even the less expensive edition. Someone who, for example, has expressed both his impecuniousness and his love for the man right here on this board! To make it even easier, you could even start your search for this deserving person near the top of the alphabet, say the letter B...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well Richard you have a point, but I still think it should have been delayed a couple of years. Most limited editions get released in another state down the road, this is just the first time I've seen it happen in the same year.

And to Braling I've been reading Bradbury since 1980, I don't part with anything Bradbury. Smiler

Posts: 81 | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Nah, I think the best thing to do would be to donate it to someone who loves Bradbury, but could not afford even the less expensive edition. Someone who, for example, has expressed both his impecuniousness and his love for the man right here on this board! To make it even easier, you could even start your search for this deserving person near the top of the alphabet, say the letter B...

I'm with you on this...and it works well for me since my last name starts with the letters BA....

Razzer

Posts: 107 | Location: SoCal | Registered: 30 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any way I can get my $750 back from PS? I unfortunately was a sucker who purchased the expensive edition.

Now I agree that this book is too valuable to just be limited to 100 copies, but I feel this type of release should have been delayed a couple of years, so the purchasers of this book wouldn't feel ripped off. As far as I know the $750 edition isn't sold out and now never will be with the release of the new edition.

This has to be one of the weirdest decisions by Ray, and one I'm not very happy about. This now makes me wonder should I hold off on all Ray Bradbury small press expensive editions? I have to say my trust is a little rattled right now.

Hey Geoff... great to see you here. Yeah, I too bought the very expensive PS edition just for the extra collection (the SK sig helped too). I was shocked and rattled myself with Subterranean announcing their edition so close to PS's release but as much as I like Pete and PS I kinda expect this stuff from him - remember the special three volume S is for Space, R is for Rocket and L is for Leftover (which later changed title to Forever and Tomorrow or something). PS almost immedicately made the ultra limited third volume - originally only availabe in the slipcased three volume set for $500 - available for a pultry $50. Everyone could get one which was cool but I too feel a little ripped off I didn't wait.

Phil

Posts: 8 | Registered: 19 May 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post