Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Christus Apollo - help!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Christus Apollo - help!
 Login/Join

posted
In 1969 - 1970 I participated in a performance of Christus Apollo at Royce Hall, Ucla. I have a copy of the score signed by Ray Bradbury & Jerry Goldsmith. There is a third signature which I can't decipher -- presumably the narrator or the conductor. Does anyone have any information on who was the narrator and/or conductor and the date of the performance?
Thanks.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 20 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the CD somewhere. If I can dig it up, I can give you whatever information I have on that, but I presume you have the CD--as it seems that is what is autographed, so I don't think I can assist.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a non-commercial recording with the reading done by Charleston Heston. Could that be the recording that was made at UCLA?

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gaylin:
...presumably the narrator or the conductor.

The December 21st show? I believe Ray was the narrator, so perhaps it is the conductor's signature. I do not know who that was.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My version is:

Christus Apollo
Conducted by: Jerry Goldsmith.
Text by: Ray Bradbury
Narrated by: Anthony Hopkins
Messo-Soprano: Eirian James
London Symphony Orchestra/London Voices
Chorus Master: Terry Edwards
(C) TELARC, 2002.
(C) Jerry Goldsmith, 2002.

Hope this helps! (Though it is about 32 years after your dates, so probably not.)

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
I have a non-commercial recording with the reading done by Charleston Heston. Could that be the recording that was made at UCLA?

Wow! I looked again and the third signature IS Charlton Heston -- thanks.

Gaylin

Posts: 2 | Registered: 20 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gaylin:
quote:

Wow! I looked again and the third signature IS Charlton Heston -- thanks.

Gaylin

Not too often I'm correct about something...glad I was this rare time.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look again, jkt: you said it was CHARLESTON Heston. (Sound more like a '20s flapper than Chuck ever was!)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Look again, jkt: you said it was CHARLESTON Heston. (Sound more like a '20s flapper than Chuck ever was!)

I could have just said 'the gun nut.'

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Well, maybe this is a carry-over from the time he was a dancer and preferred the 20's.

http://wiresmash.com/people/charlton-heston-dead/

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shortly after Chuck's passing, Mr. Bradbury mailed a copy of this recording of Christus Apollo to librarian Laura Bush and her husband.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
...librarian Laura Bush and her husband.

I like that you said "Laura Bush and her husband", thus being indicative of the level of importance therein.

If he ever wants to send anything to the current resident of the big white house, just send it here and I'll drop it by.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Theologically, Christus Appolo makes little sense. As many times as I tried to make some sense of what it is trying to say, it comes out as a pompous rhetoric. Outside of that, it's not bad.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
Theologically, Christus Appolo makes little sense. As many times as I tried to make some sense of what it is trying to say, it comes out as a pompous rhetoric. Outside of that, it's not bad.

Ray has called it a Secular Prayer, consider it from that aspect.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:

Ray has called it a Secular Prayer, consider it from that aspect.

Okay...I'll bite: What is the meaning of a secular prayer? Seems like a composite of opposites.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post