Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Meeting Ray at Mt. San Antonio Community College

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Meeting Ray at Mt. San Antonio Community College
 Login/Join

posted
What a wonderful evening last night! I attended Ray�s lecture at Mt. San Antonio Community College, where he appeared at their �Evening with the Stars� to help raise funds for the college�s planetarium. Ray appeared with George Takei (Mr. Sulu of Star Trek fame) Despite waiting in line for two-hours (I was seventh in line and Ray and George were both very late), I was able to get several books signed by both �stars� and obtain some excellent seats in the auditorium for Ray�s presentation.

The presentation itself was Ray being Ray. He covered his usual stories of moving to Los Angeles, selling The Martian Chronicles and The Illustrated Man, and writing Fahrenheit-451. He seemed in excellent spirits and had great energy. He used his walker (a wheelchair was nowhere to be seen), and even climbed up several steps to the chair on the stage where he was to speak.

Since Ray was late, the book signing (which was to take place exclusively prior to the lecture) was cut short, and a couple hundred people were unable to get their books signed. Ray was energetic enough following his lecture to offer to stay late and sign additional books.

I also had the pleasure to meet the �Event Nazi�, Patrick last night. He was on hand to assist Ray (as usual). What a wonderful gentleman. Thanks again Patrick for all that you do � it was a treat to meet you, too.

Overall, it was a magnificent evening, a chance to see Ray again, and the first time I�ve heard him deliver a speech. Even my 11-year old daughter was star-struck by meeting her favorite writer (though she had no idea who George Takei was). She also enjoyed hearing Ray�s reflections on his life, and his impassioned plea to save the Mt. Sac planetarium.

Overall, wonderful��.

Posts: 85 | Location: San Dimas, CA USA | Registered: 25 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello all,

It was a great evening, last night. Chris, It was nice meeting you and your daughter.

Mr. B stayed afterwards, at least an hour to sign ALL books and magazines. Everyone, could and should have gotten there books signed. If they didn't, that's not Mr B's fault. He always signs before and after his lectures. mostly afterwards, because of the all the effort his puts into his lectures, which as you saw last night was, all there. His energy was up, spirits very great, and he really enjoyed the kids who came out.
He's a trooper.

The reason Mr B, was late, was my fault. We just got into bad traffic, it took us over 2 hours, from his home.

Take care
Patrick

Posts: 141 | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chrisman,
Wow, a much better account than mine. Funny too, that we seem to be on here at the same time writing about our experience and responding to each others' posts. Too bad we can't combine these two into one thread now.
Umm...Dandelion? Just kidding, it's fine.

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post