Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The Halloween Tree
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Halloween Tree
 Login/Join

posted
For the first time I've read The Halloween Tree, finishing it the day before Halloween. I will not dawdle. I did not like it. When the boys began walking to and approached the house I believed I was running along with a good story. There was the Halloween Tree, a beautiful thing that held my attention. And there was Moundshroud the great character showing up at the door. But here the story I became interested in ends. We are off to Egypt, to England, and Mexico. Moundshroud disappears and comes to lecture us on dark histories. Poor Pipkin gets thrown into the history and we are off again. Snap and off to here and there. Flying on kites, beaten by brooms, carried by leaves. I get interested in a story and by god we are whipped into another. Among this chaos there are speeches on death and philosophy that I doubt young folks could begin to chew on. All these great characters who are imposed on by this history lesson. The Halloween Tree is right! It has fallen over and squashed this story up.

Posts: 135 | Registered: 22 July 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I won't dawdle, either. Halloween Tree was not my favorite, either. I think, however, my problem was one of expectations. I expected a kind of SWTWC story; when, in fact, it is really a history lesson, dressed up as a story. If it is approached for it's language (which I did think was good) and to provide some insights into the history and ideology of Halloween, it is a good read. But I was looking for, like I said, another SWTWC type novel, and that is not what it was.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 11-05-2003).]

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark,

And megadittoes to you, too.

Oh, all right. Time to stop being lazy and expand a bit.

Yours and Ought Not's points are well taken: The Halloween Tree is little more than a nice history lesson of Halloween. Fascinating the first read through but doesn't stand up to any of Bradbury's greater works. This was the first year in the last few years in which I didn't feel the urge to re-read it again. Just didn't appeal to me anymore. Nice use of language, some striking images - especially the last one of the wind among the branches of the Halloween Tree - but nothing to get too hepped up about.

Pete

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The opinions above on The Halloween Tree are interesting. It seems to me though, your reasons for not liking the story are precisely why Ray wrote it the way he did. Halloween is a lot more than dressing up & receiving candy. There's a TON of history surrounding the holiday. People anticipate things that are "Halloween-ish" adhere to a certain set of rules in terms of aesthetic & connotation. Ray blasts these preconceived ideas in The Halloween Tree & gives a great lesson on the why & wherefore of Halloween, while still maintaining a nice Halloween "vibe" & writing a great story.

However, this is just my opinion!

Posts: 54 | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Andrew:

That was my point.

It is a great overview of the history of the ideologies that formed Halloween in it's various manifestations. But my expectation was for a novel in the tradition of SWTWC.

Because my expectations were different, my enjoyment of the book was diminished. As I said, the language was great. With Bradbury, the symbols are always great. And it was a very good expository work on the ideological nature of Halloween.

If I left the impression that I was trashing the book, my own use of language was poor.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Andrew,

It's not my intent, either, to trash the book, but to offer a different opinion. I have a natural tendency to rank things and, in the ranking of Bradbury's works, I consider The Halloween Tree to be one of his lesser efforts. (Just as I do Ahmed and The Oblivion Machines. What on earth was that all about?)

To speak to your point, if Bradbury had wanted to write a treatise on Hallowee, he should have done just that. (Similar to the old Hollywood adage: If you want to send a message, use Western Union.) I think Brabdury's non-fiction is on of his strongest areas. Granted, a nice Halloween "vibe;" Brabdury pretty much owns the holiday. But a great story? Not quite, and for slightly different reasons than Ought Not: the boys simply travel from one place to the next to afford Moundshroud his speeches. And that's it. Oh, sure, there's a little suspense attempted with Pip and his appendicitis. Will they catch up to him? I found it hard to care.

Now, for stronger story lines, compare this with, as Mr. Dark suggested, SWTC, or F-451. Then tell me Bradbury can't do better.

Pete

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand what you guys are saying - The Halloween Tree, in contrast to some of Ray's other works, isn't as good.

It's just one of my favorites, so I get a bit solipsistic when other people don't like it as much as me!

posted Hide Post
The animated movie was very well done. I watched that again this year. Needs more about the Irish traditions and Druids, Samhain, lighting the sacred fires to stave off the long oncoming Winter, etc.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Andrew: Halloween Tree is in my queue to read again. With your positive comments on it, I'll try to approach it with a more positive expectation.

posted Hide Post
I got the movie...and I liked it!

I believe Ray has said that this animated effort was one of the more successful adaptations of his work...

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with Nard; the movie is great. A bit different from the story, but wonderful nonetheless. A definite Halloween viewing tradition.

EDIT: Hey! I'm a Member now!

[This message has been edited by Andrew (edited 11-07-2003).]

posted Hide Post
Well, congratulations!

Your new status made me look at mine. 961 postings. Nearly 1,000! Oh, if I should live so long!

How many for Nard and Dandelion?

posted Hide Post
Just how is member status achieved?

Posts: 194 | Location: Worden, Illinois | Registered: 09 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe you achieve member status at 30 posts.

posted Hide Post
30 posts is a long way from 900 Mr. Dark!