Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    which should i read?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

which should i read?
 Login/Join

posted
okay, i have 4 of his books which i have yet to read. the question is, which one should i start with?
Fahrenheit 451
The Martian Chronicles
One More For The Road
or Something Wicked This Way Comes
I have heard great things about something wicked, and that was my first choice.
I am going on vacation for two weeks in a little while, so which would be best for hours of driving?

Posts: 10 | Registered: 20 May 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good question and open to much debate!
The first 2 would be a close call:
Here's my order.
1 The Martian Chronicles
(Great images on a trip to Mars while
you travel your own many miles!)
2 Something Wicked This Way Comes
(Small town characters, good vs. evil)
3 Fahrenheit 451
(Thought provoking-serious social themes)
4 One More For The Road
(Random sh. story topics)

Have a safe journey. If you are reading aloud - your travels will be made all the more enjoyable!

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would depend on what kind of reading you most enjoy and what you're presently in the mood for. For pure enjoyment, I would do this order:

(1) Something Wicked
(2) F451
(3) Martian Chronicles (kind of a tie with F451)
(4) One More for the Road.

If you're interested in reading as an aid for provoking thought, I would do this order:

(1) F451
(2) Something Wicked
(3) Martian Chronicles
(4) One More for the Road

That's my input, anyway.

Enjoy the trip. It will be enhanced by any of these books!

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm... If you're talking about reading in the car, it depends on what sort of reading you like to do under those conditions. "Something Wicked" and "451" are cohesive novels, while the other two books are collections of short stories that can be enjoyed in bite-sized pieces, so to speak.

For some reason, "Chronicles" strikes me as a good summer read--I'm not sure why. I always save "Something Wicked" to read during October. I really get into the spirit of the book when reading it that month; I can simply step outside my door and experience the same sights and sounds of autumn--that melancholy feeling in the air--that Bradbury is writing about in the novel itself.

"One More for the Road" has a few good stories, but is one of his lesser collections, in my opinion. So, I'd leave that one for last, or for those occasions when you don't have a lot of time to focus on what you're reading, and are looking for something rather brief to fill the time.

Have a very pleasant vacation!

Posts: 90 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 20 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
trixta:

��The Martian Chronicles �

You can skip around, if you wish. Chapters are short stories onto themselves. Or enjoy them all connected.

2nd choice?
Any of the other three....

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having just finished reading One More For The Road last night, it would be my last choice "for the road" if I were going on vacation. That�s not to say it wasn�t good, but the others are just far superior.

I would go with:

Something Wicked This Way Comes
The Martian Chronicles
Fahrenheit 451
One More For The Road

In truth, you can't go wrong with any (but that's a cop-out, I know).

Enjoy........

Posts: 85 | Location: San Dimas, CA USA | Registered: 25 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy a copy of The October Country and start with that, it contains the best of Ray's early stories, the really memorable ones.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post