Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Deletions: What Goes, What Stays
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Deletions: What Goes, What Stays
 Login/Join

posted
As the moderator here, I've deliberately employed a light touch, but fully admit that things have gotten WAY out of hand a few times, especially in the last several months, and I totally see how any newcomer could not help but be horrified. From the first, I've made it a point to remove the following:

--Any actually offensive language. (I've deleted swearwords, but probably missed some, and, sad to say, let stand some namecalling. When verbal slings and arrows were flying too thick to edit each individual instance, I posted a reminder not to call names, to which no one responded.) Just because some namecalling was let slide in the process of what was politely termed debate does not mean namecalling is tolerated on this board. Any abusive, obscene, or otherwise offensive arguments directed at individuals or groups is not allowed. In other words, expressing that a particular group should or should not receive certain treatment such as government compensation is allowed, (although off-topic and therefore not encouraged) but expressing derogatory opinions of that group in general or attacking people in favor of that group specifically will be, and has been, deleted.
--Any non-allowed items such as off-topic spam or advertising.
--Fiction and poetry have been discouraged here but not actually forbidden or banned. Students posting their homework and demanding it be corrected or completed for them are subject to removal without notice.
--Any attacks on Ray Bradbury, period. Criticism (sometimes valid, sometimes harsh) of aspects of his work or viewpoints has been let to stand as this is not a "censor-run board," but any outright examples of personal slander or unfounded demeaning of his work are immediately and permanently removed. Also, anything which is not an attack on Bradbury but is too much a personal, privacy violation, is removed or altered. (I'm glad his family is being so gracious in informing us as to his health, and not objecting to discussion of his wellbeing on the boards.)
--Double posts or other things of no redeeming social value.
--NEW POSTERS PLEASE NOTE: Subhead on double posts. If the exact same topic is posted more than once, I'll try to delete all but ONE of it, BUT if I am not quick enough, and come back to find several duplicates in the same forum, one or more of which has drawn replies, I will leave ONLY the one with the most replies! For anyone who replied to one of the others--it is not a conspiracy, you are not being picked on, there was nothing wrong with your post, BUT--if you like your reply well enough to repost it under the remaining heading, fine, if not, it goes, sorry! I am not encouraging posting duplicates in different forums, either, but I am posting this in all four so EVERYONE has a chance to see it!
--In addition: since this just came up. If two identical threads both receive replies before I can delete one, I will post a request under the one with the least replies that anyone wishing to keep their posts there will have, oh, say, a week, to copy and paste them to the other thread, or lose them, then LOCK the thread with the least replies before it takes on a life of its own! If a message is from the sort of person who only posts once and never looks again to even see if anyone replied, their message will no doubt prove no great loss to them. (Several posts were deleted in this way recently, and no one has said anything about it. None of them were of substance--in other words, all statements which have been made here before.)

Sometimes certain members thought certain items should be removed. I thank them for pointing out a few I may have overlooked, or did see but was unsure as to the concensus on editing them, but sometimes things they considered frivolous but I considered harmless were left. On at least two occasions, threads went wild way faster than I could read them, and I had to post apologies for any editing I may have neglected to do on those.

Please try to respect Mr. Bradbury at ALL times, but especially now when he is no longer around to speak for himself, and please respect each other and his loyal fans who have been faithful here for so long!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion:

You tell 'em! I can't imagine how complicated moderating a large screaming crowd must be, but you're doing one heck of a good job. Keep your head up!

Julie

Posts: 116 | Location: Akron, Ohio, USA | Registered: 30 October 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I concur with jfaronson; sometimes seems similar to dealing with a room full of kindergarteners! I try to edit myself so you won't have to or I just won't reply at all and just keep my comments to myself if I can't play nice! (I try to follow the saying, "Tis better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt!)

Posts: 213 | Location: New Berlin, WI, USA | Registered: 21 June 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I Totally agree with you on this, i think its horrible that people act so immature on these forums.

posted Hide Post
Before I have time to read every word of the latest Fahrenheit 451 flurry fest, time to bump this up again.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
As a moderator/assistant manager of a site that currently has 3,000+ members, I can really sympathize - we have to post reminders about common courtesy almost daily LOL! This is a lovely site, and I really enjoy coming here. I don't post much, but I love reading what other members write - the comments here are usually very thought-provoking and interesting. Glee

Posts: 8 | Location: Woonsocket RI USA | Registered: 16 October 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion,
Thank You for keeping the flow going down the row! It's a Herculian task, but someone has to do it...

Posts: 247 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
DANDELION RETURNS! REVENGE OF THE DANDELION!

Originally Dandelion posted this notice in all four forums so NO ONE would miss it. Imported, it seems to have survived only in Resources, but no matter.

DANDELION IS BACK!

Since her return, two unwanted threads have been obliterated! Dandelion is now on the prowl for uncalled-for individual posts.

BEWARE THE DANDELION!

posted Hide Post
Welcome back dandelion!

Funny you should be back just as the dandelion season comes to an end...

(Here in the UK, the dandelions have been in bloom for the last few weeks, but most of the yellow flowers have now turned to "clocks".)

(Thought I'd better explain in case of regional variations.)

(May have to come back later and explain what I mean by clocks...could be a British thing...)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I know that I have posted this before, but because you are speaking of dandelions I have to mention that just before moving here to Florida from Minnesota four years ago I had the opportunity to take a picture of my neighbor's back yard which was full of yellow dandelions (he didn't spray.) After I moved here I had an 8 x 10 photo made and put it into a nice frame and sent it to Ray.

He said that he liked it. I can only imagine where he may have deposited it someplace around his home.

Say Phil, did you answer me as to where you live. I wondered if it might be Kent. Perhaps you would kind to email me at clmi9901@msn.com with an answer that I know I will get. Following the posts can sometimes be difficult, at least for an old goat like me.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
biplane1,

I have emailed a reply to you.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

posted Hide Post
Phil: "Puffballs" have taken over where just a day or so ago yellow "dandylions" danced in spring breezes. Now little white parachutes are taken skyward only to float back down, reseeding lawns of those metriculous neighbors who have tried so hard to maintain their perfectly green, unblemished, herbi-sprayed grass carpets.

I let nature have its way. After all, this is the beginning of the season when home plate, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd bases are determined by who wins the coin flip. The oak tree, street sewer lid, edge of the sidewalk, and fence post are all reliable locations.

So the spots warn down by a million runs scored have long set me at ease when it comes to worrying about dandelions taking over for a week or so! Besides, when they go to seed, I know it is finally time to give the "ball park" its first real mowing!

(One major "ground rule," avoid hitting toward the house...please!!)

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm tolerant with dandelions as with posts. I dig them out in or near flowerbeds, pull heads off so they can't spread, but in the lawn itself, just leave 'em. It's done nothing here but RAIN for DAYS! You'd think this was Venus. Someone was supposed to come mow today, but he didn't make it before the rain.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Someone was supposed to come mow today, but he didn't make it before the rain.

You have someone who mows for you? Sounds like Desperate Housewives!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Hey, don't knock it. I'm dreadful afraid of lawnmowers. Always have been.