Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    tracking radio(?) story

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

tracking radio(?) story
 Login/Join

posted
Hi, many many years ago I recal hearing a Ray Bradbury story on the radio - it might have been written for radio or might have been from a short story. It was about a man who goes back to the house where he was born and remembers that when he left the house aged 9 he left a message to himself "when old" in a hole in a tree. Can anyone tell me anything about this story.
Also can anyone tell me who is Bradbury's agent?
thanks
Brendan

Posts: 4 | Registered: 09 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi brendan and welcome!

This sounds like Mr. Bradbury's poem REMEMBERANCE, the first in the collection When Elephants Last in the Dooryard Bloomed. Interesting if it was on radio. Wonder who read it and when?

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
brendan,

I can confirm that Brother Tarkas is right, it's REMEMBRANCE. The message he finds in the hole in the tree says, "I remember you. I remember you."

In 1990, the people of Bradbury's hometown (Waukegan, Illinois) dedicated a park to Bradbury, and the dedication plaque says "We remember you, we remember you."

Bradbury might have read the poem on radio himself. It was also featured visually in a BBC TV documentary about Ray in 1980. They dramatised the poem, and had Ray climbing up a tree to reach into the squirrel hole.

Your second question: Ray's agent is Don Congdon. If you search the board for "Congdon", you should easily turn up his contact details.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ironic exchange here, Phil! Our trip across country to Mr. B's 89th allowed me much reading time. I especially enjoyed on the homeward journey They Have Not Seen the Stars, signed while on hand. Now, back in the classroom, and always in search of tricks to lead teen writers toward recognizing the metaphors-galore that fill their energetic lives, I have recently called upon Mr. B's poems.

His verse is really quite a different experience when you delve into these collections uninterrupted. When Elephants Last in Doorways..., Where Robot Mice and Robot Men Run Round in Robot Towns, and Burnt-Out Priests, Rabbis and Ministers, along with the aforementioned collected Poems, are being shared, read orally and discussed. Throw in some choice chapters of Zen in the Art of Writing, and I look forward to many creative pieces in the coming semester.

Brendan and all! Enjoy:

http://holyjoe.org/poetry/bradbury.htm

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
very many thanks to all - extremely useful and you've given me all I need to know. So pleased to have found this site. I started reading Ray's work in the 60's and I'm sure he was a great influence on my later career as a screenwriter (the weirdly appropriate, pithy, disturbing, image). He was always a master.
Again, many thanks!
Brendan

posted Hide Post
brendan, as a screenwriter, and someone who asked about Ray's agent, I wonder if you are interested in adapting one of his stories.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Doug,
Yes I might indeed be interested - my memory's a bit vague on that story - where can it be found and why do you think it would be particularly good for a screen adaptation? Also how easy is it to get Ray's OK on the copyright (essential for writing a script and for selling it).
Cheers
Brendan

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brendan:
Also how easy is it to get Ray's OK on the copyright (essential for writing a script and for selling it).

I've had dealings with this in the past (to a lesser degree).

Email me on forrestjbradbury at gmail dot com.

John

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug
Don't understand your email address

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brendan:
Doug
Don't understand your email address

Replace the word AT with @ and the word DOT with a period. Then scrunch all those words together to form a standard email address. (this is done to prevent a 'bot' from 'sniffing' out email addresses to add to spamming lists.)

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post