Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Marie-Ann (?)

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marie-Ann (?)
 Login/Join

posted
I'm trying to find the name of the short story by Ray Bradbury in which a family is seated each morning at breakfast. Mother, father, grandmother and granddaughter who I think was called Marieann or marie-anne (or similar).
Marie Ann is being dated by a boy who arrives each morning in a car which toots outside - at which sound she runs out. She is in a daze.
It is the grandmother who (eventually) quietly lets the family know that it's a different boy each morning!
The name of the story, and of the book that it's in, would be much appreciated, so that it may be given to a dizzy girl, rather like Ray's character in the story in some ways, but someone who really should spread her net a bit further (as Marie-Ann did).
The New Forest, Ringwood, England.

Posts: 3 | Location: Europe | Registered: 14 April 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Great Fire," which appears in The Stories of Ray Bradbury among other collections.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Golden Apples of the Sun being the other main collection.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much dandelion and philnic.

Now that you mention it dandelion, I remember the title "The Great Fire". The English girl from Ringwood (let's call her Chloe, because that's her name!!)is quite the reverse to Marie-Ann, and at her age it's much too soon to be like this (probably) - but she's free to decide.
She will, however, soon receive a copy of the book.

Many thank again.
John

Posts: 3 | Location: Europe | Registered: 14 April 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kewl, always great to see well-placed Bradbury hitting the mark.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Written over 60 years ago (1949) but , as you say, hitting the mark (and, I think, probably going to do some good!)