Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Word of the day besides "murmur".
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 25

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Word of the day besides "murmur".
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Largish

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
lagniappe

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wrapped?

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
embrodieristic (having traits of an embroiderer)
embroideryous (boisterous, while an embroiderer)
embroideria (place for buying embroidery)
Embroideryville (that there city/town)
Embroideryski (Polish family name with long heritage in- you guessed it!)
Embryodery (developing embroidery)

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chap, a lagniappe ("LAN-yap") is a sort of "kick-back", i.e. a gift from a vendor to a customer.

Broid, love your last entry!

Here's a new one: embrocate

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Because I’m involved with so many kickbacks, “lagniappe” wasn’t so hard and a naked kickback is problematic so “wrapped” is usually preferred. “Embrocate” on the other hand was dicier and I had to look it up and I’ll be sure to embrocate the next time I go to the beach.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I first encountered the word defenestration in a Bradbury story, but don't recall which one...

posted Hide Post
How on earth did you remember that word?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He seemed to really like it, I looked it up and liked it, and I've encountered it since...

posted Hide Post
A tactinic reaction will never come knocking on my door.

posted Hide Post
saturnine

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
crucible

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
homophone

posted Hide Post
Right! Now correctly write "their," "there," and "they're." No doubt, you know the differences. Each word has its own meaning. It's really worth more than a few cents to have a good sense of the language. Now, this brings me to my new word of the day, "Gnu!"

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good observation, Butch.
Too many folks nowadays confuse "your" and "you're", for example. (Take note good friend Rocket!)
Here are some good homophones:
right, rite, write, and wright (though you don't see the latter much anymore).
One that keeps tripping up singers, for some reason is "lead" and "led", though the former is only the metal...