Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Word of the day besides "murmur".
Page 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Word of the day besides "murmur".
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Gewgaw

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
rarefied

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
doohingies

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ironmongery

posted Hide Post
ecdysis

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Party

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aestival

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Halcyon

As in "halcyon days will come again soon."

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
dupable

Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: Easily imposed on or tricked.
Synonyms: credulous, exploitable, gullible, naive, susceptible

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Statuary

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
purlieu • \PERL-yoo\ • noun

1 a : an outlying or adjacent district
*b plural : environs, neighbourhood

2 a : a frequently visited place : haunt
b plural : confines, bounds

Example Sentence:
"The boy, desperately nervous, continued to descend the zig-zag paths that would take him into the very purlieus of his father's house." (Ford Madox Ford, The Last Post)

Did you know?
In medieval England, if you were fortunate enough to acquire a new piece of land, you would want to have as many ceremonies as possible to make it clear that the land belonged to you. To assert the extent of your land, you might hold a ceremony called a "perambulation," in which you would walk around and record the boundaries of your property in the presence of witnesses. If your land bordered a royal forest, you might find that there was some confusion about where your land started and the royal forest ended. Luckily, the law said that if you performed a perambulation, you could gain at least some degree of ownership over disputed forest tracts, although your use of them would be restricted by forest laws and royals would probably still have the right to hunt on them. Such regained forest property was called a "purlewe" (or as it was later spelled, "purlieu"), which derives from the Anglo-French word for "perambulation."

*Indicates the sense illustrated in the example sentence.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
POPPYCOCK

noun - nonsense, bosh; balderdash, bunk hogwash, rubbish

• derived in mid-1800's from Dutch, pappekak, which literally means soft dung, or diarrhea.

Example Sentence:
"The theology of one Bishop Spong didn't just define the word poppycock it was also the very photograph of Bishop Spong that was there in the Wiseman's dictionary next to the word poppycock."

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Re: soft dung.

I'm still LOLing - that was funny!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Still love "ironmongery". Probably the why is because I remember it vividly from Something Wicked This Way Comes. (I wish there was progress on finding the elusive Mr. Electrico too, but in a way I guess it's best left in the nether region of lore) Today I am fixated on the word "smidgen". One of the kids used it and I wasn't sure if it was slang however there it was in my trusty Oxford.

posted Hide Post
Reminds me of this Dave Barry quote:

England is a very popular foreign country to visit because the people there speak some English.
Usually, however, when they get to the crucial part of a sentence they'll use words that they made up, such as "scone" and "ironmonger."