Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Word of the day besides "murmur".
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 25

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Word of the day besides "murmur".
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Braling II you are CORRECT. Congratulations! It is a bit of a stumper and not many people solve it. Bravo I say and I wish I had the BIG prize for you, but alas I do not.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Biplane! If you like, just figure out what the Big Prize is, calculate the cost, and simply send the money!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Butch, the two tales broght to mind by the word "unshine" are "All Summer In A Day" and whatever the title is of the one from "Illustrated Man" about the never-ending rain on Venus...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Long Rain is one of my favorite stories. All those pale plants and that killer lightning and constant rain, plus the sundomes. Its spectacular! All Summer In A Day set also on Venus is right up there too.

Tomorrow is my day off, I'm going to savor it! Doug, I looked it up in my Oxford and check this plethora of descriptions:

Savor:suggest by taste, smell, etc.(savors of mushrooms),{I swear it said that, lol} n. taste, flavor, zest, tang, piquancy. relish;smack one's lips over;indulge in.

What a hoot. I want to go do something special, but I have a backlog of house chores to catch up on, oh well, that too can be savored.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rocket,

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great word. "Unshine," opposite of "sunshine." Alternate meaning, to spoil or tarnish a shiny finish. Mind if I use it sometime?

Posts: 7303 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biplane, I had a thought this morning on the way to work: if you took a deed away from someone, mightn't you use the word "dedeeded"?
That would also be a palindrome!

posted Hide Post
Perish the thought if the person's name is Deedee as in Deedee's dedeeded. Quick call the good deed doer...

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dandelion: uncola

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...and how many of us when reading "Dandelion Wine" for the first time had to look up the word "cupola" ?

posted Hide Post
BII, I would dare say at least a "coupla" us. Myself included.

Posts: 2804 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At least it's not an uncool cupola uncola!

Posts: 7303 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So many thoughts to respond to:

1) Braling II--Heaven forbid if someone were to be dedeeded, but better that then deheaded.

2) Believe it or not I have known about cupolas for many, many years. What an art form!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: biplane1,

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
mollycoddle cracked me up, it led me to milksop.

posted Hide Post
Pious.

Don't you think thats such a pretty little word? It should be a small song bird, or a group of tiny white flowers, or a genis of butterflies, or something to that effect.

Then again, there are many pretty words regarding religion.

relijun. something.

If there is a God, I know he likes to rock.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of the very old grafitti seen in the Vatican:

"Pope Pious is innocent"

And

"Pope Innocent is pious"

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post