Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    A sound of thunder

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A sound of thunder
 Login/Join

posted
I am trying to analyze the connection of the sound of thunder short story to the fear of a dictator government. I see Mr. Bradbury refer to Hitler or dictatorship in his reference to Deutscher as the anti - everything candidate. Do you think he is refering to democracy when he mentions Queen Elizabeth and the United States? Why does he call the T-Rex his Royal Majestry?

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: 04 October 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
T-Rex was considered king of 'em all (dinosaurs).

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...and to take dandelion's point one step further, the "rex" in Tyrannosaurus Rex means "king."

In the UK (where I live, so I know a bit about it) it is customary in formal documents to refer to kings and queens like this:

Queen Elizabeth = "Elizabeth regina" (regina being latin for "queen")

King George = "George rex" (rex meaning "king")

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But then, of course, there was this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Rex_(entrepreneur)

Posts: 700 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...and I recall there was a long-ago Roman who was seeking to become "Maximus Rex"

"Those among the Optimate faction, feared Gaius Julius Caesar was becoming too powerful and could soon abolish the senate entirely to rule as "Absolute King" of Rome (all Roman holdings)."

Impressive control considering there were no cell phones or internet connections: http://hoocher.com/Gaius_Iuliu...map_roman_empire.jpg

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
T-Rex was considered king of 'em all (dinosaurs).

Also my favourite glam rock band! I read somewhere long ago that Marc Bolan, composer of "Ballrooms of Mars" and other great oddities, had a meeting with Ray. Perhaps Phil knows something about this?

Posts: 109 | Registered: 23 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post