Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Ray photos - LA Festival of Books and his home

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray photos - LA Festival of Books and his home
 Login/Join

posted
Hi Y'all,
Here are some photos from a whirlwind trip to LA a few weeks ago. The trip was pretty much all SF all the time (with a little science thrown in). These photos include - Harlan, The Nebula Awards, Eaton SF Conference, book stores, The LA Festival of Books, and best of all(time) - Ray invited me over his house! All here can imagine how much this meant to me. We spent an hour chatting and by the time I left I was so vibrating and my eyes were so filled with tears of joy I had to sit in the car for awhile before I could drive on. Thought y'all would enjoy seeing the photos. Most have labels of explanation on them. Several of the faces y'all will recognize from this board.
All the best,
-Patricia

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2...s/72157618571912777/

Posts: 86 | Location: Bernalillo, NM USA | Registered: 16 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Patricia, thanks for posting the photos. I see you went to the Eaton conference again - I didn't make it this year, but hope to get there again at some point.

Harlan has the most fiendish camera red-eye! (You should post a link on the HE Pavilion.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Simply fabulous. Felt like I was walking into his house, step by step. Loved the pigeon, and Ray, of course!

Posts: 194 | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Patricia, I too, loved the photos. Say, aren't you good friends with Mog The Dog, or am I thinking of someone else?

It is amazing how much things change in 42 years. When I first went to Ray's house, the front entry was pretty much open and could be seen from the street. Over the years the growth has been phenomenal and in 1996 when I and family visited Ray, it was as it is today, pretty much secluded.

In contrast, I am attaching a couple of photos I took in 1996.

Thank you for all of the great shots. Which one was Harlan by the way. Yellow pants?

ImageOther_Awards_On_The_Mantle.jpg (29 Kb, 18 downloads)

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I forgot that in this format you can post one photo at a time, so here's Ray himself.

ImageRay_Himself_Circa_1996.jpg (36 Kb, 20 downloads)

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And another shot of Ray and my girls.

ImageRay_and_My_Girls-Circa_1996.jpg (35 Kb, 18 downloads)

posted Hide Post
And still another, a corner shot of Ray's House, circa August, 1996.

ImageRay's_House.jpg (77 Kb, 32 downloads)

posted Hide Post
One more shot to compare. This one of the Bay window in comparison to Pat's photo.

ImageBay_Window_of_Ray's_House.jpg (96 Kb, 21 downloads)

posted Hide Post
Great shots, biplane!

Posts: 194 | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
biplane1, I think we might have discussed this before, but one of your shots shows the street sign, thus giving away the location of RB's house. Not a good move, in my humble opinion. Any chance you could delete that post (or Photoshop out the street sign)?

PS: Yes, Harlan is in the yellow pants (and T-shirt that says 50% Cotton/50% Shroud of Turin!).

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, since there is a smattering of photos of Ray's place here, here is my contribution. Taken a while back in Ray's basement.

There, on the shelf, a bottle of Halley's Comet Table Wine. We all know what goes into a bottle of Dandelion Wine. But what sort of ingredients go into a bottle of Halley's Comet Table Wine?

Imagerbcw.jpeg (250 Kb, 22 downloads)

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
THANKS for sharing one and all! Really Tiggerific!

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Philnic, yes, I did realize that the sign is visible, but I looked and I couldn't read both of the names myself. Besides, there are places on the internet that give fully his location. NOW I had one photo showing his mailbox and the street number, which I did not post.

Great shot, Nard! And I love the black and white. Could it be said that it was organized disorganization?