Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    What do you Think?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you Think?
 Login/Join

posted
My 8th grade Language Arts class is reading F-451. Do you think that students our age should read this book?

Posts: 1 | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DanaBug-
I think that eighth grade is an alright age to read the book, although I would have kids read it everyday if I could! The book itself is not a hard read. Children younger than eighth grade could very easily read and comprehend this book. Perhaps if this book is taught when children are younger, they will see the importance of it and continue to read books well into adulthood (and beyond). I know that I would have given anything to be reading such literature in grade school, but my school was stuck on those literary text books that I've grown to dislike throughout my education. Luckily in college, we are reading full texts instead of just dumbed down excerpts.
So I suppose I'm trying to say, throughout my senseless blathering of course, that it is a great idea to be introducing eighth graders to Fahrenheit 451 (Especially since they are about to make the transition into high school).

Montag Lives

Posts: 23 | Location: Nashville, IL | Registered: 10 October 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have taught F451 to gr. 10 for many years. The content may prove to be over the heads of typical 8th graders, and 9th for that matter. There are endless literary allusions in the text, from such a wide range of sources (Bible, Shakespeare, Yeats, Pope, Swift, Plato, Donne, Jonson, Bacon...), that may be missed completely. The ironies and metaphors abound from RB's writing, this at his powerful best.

To cover in 8th or not!? Why not? I say. It can be taught, I would think, on a more general level. The message of the book is ageless. (Look what is going on across the world today.) F451 is about knowing - or at least thinking and progressing. We can't all go around loving a Roman named Status Quo!

(Note: Having to read the novel again at the h.s. level would need to be a serious consideration for your Eng. Dept. Even after a couple of dozen readings, I still discover something different in the story with each encounter. Teens would have a better appreciation of the importance of the book when they have had more life experiences and background in literature.)

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked the book up in 8th grade on my own but was an extreme reader and believe it was considered advanced reading for someone of that age. I would say if a kid can't get into it, don't get discouraged--try it again in two or three years.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post