Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    I need some assistance please

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need some assistance please
 Login/Join

posted
I have been asked to complete a research essay on Fahrenheit 451, here are the guidelines: You are to write a paper (seven to ten pages) on a literary topic related to your novel in some way.

Think about questions like this:

Does the novel contain a great deal of symbolism? Perhaps you could write a paper that deals with the author's use of symbolism in that novel.
How does realism play into the meaning of the novel?
How does the change in setting affect the development of the plot?
You may choose to address standard fiction elements such as theme, characterization, symbolism, allegory, irony, realism, drama, or settings. History papers and biographical papers are not acceptable for this assignment.

I completed the reading of the book nearly a month ago, and for the life of me cannot come up with a research topic. I have contacted my instructor a more guidance, but have not received the help that I need. The extra guidance that she gave me is below:
The research paper can pull from the time period, the war, the location, soldiers, Army, etc. You want to use the novel and your research to explain why some points happened, should have happened, or didn't happen. You may use quotes, but remember that anything over 20% fails a paper. You are only allowed 20% of your total paper to come from other sources (direct quotes included).

I reaching out to anyone that can help point me in the right direction.

Posts: 4 | Location: Fort Hood, TX | Registered: 04 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi woodynarmy, and welcome.

Why not just answer one of the questions you have been given, such as "Does the novel contain a great deal of symbolism?" You've read the novel, so you must have some ideas about this question.

Share your thoughts based on your reading, and I'm sure you will get some helpful responses from the folks on here, myself included.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Philnic,

Thank you for the response. Below are some of the major uses of symbolism in the book. What I don't understand is how to tie this into a research paper. "You want to use the novel and your research to explain why some points happened, should have happened, or didn't happen," this is the sticking point for me.

THE HEART OF THE HOME
It symbolizes fire. The hearth is a fireplace and traditionally represents the home, both the Salamander and the Hearth symbols are ironic. Montag does not live unharmed as he realizes how burning books has ruined his society and that his society has ruined his home as evidenced by Mildred's dependence on TV and sleeping pills. Hearth usually implies "Warmth". Hearth means the fireside, family life, or home. For example; When Montag goes into his house for the first time he describes it like "coming into the cold marbled room of mausoleum." His house should have been happy, not like going into a cold deserted tomb.

Salamander
There is a myth of salamanders that they can live in fire and are elemental animal of fire. So they are important for the existence of the world. Regarding the firemen of "Fahrenheit 451", this means that the city can only survive with the work of these people. Without them this society would not be able to remain. Besides the salamander is a sign for decay, maturing and transformation. Linked to the novel these things have certain meanings: decay is a kind of destruction. The firemen´s job is to destroy books. This point fits to the symbol of the salamander. The maturing process can be associated with two aspects in the novel. Regarding Montag, this is a hint for his development. Destruction would be like when the firemen burn and destroy peoples houses and belonging.

Phoenix
The phoenix is symbolized as both blatant heresy and divine presence. Granger compares mankind to a phoenix. In the book the author uses the phoenix to explain rebirth. A new beginning, showing that once something is created it must fall. That was explain when the city was bombed. The ashes were considered the life of Phoenix. Now as you may know once a Phoenix dies the way it is reincarnated. The author wanted to show that the city has been destroyed and run to the ruins, but this is just a new start, change, return. But, most out of all these examples, it is a new beginning.

Fire
The symbol of fire means many things such as violence, death, disappear, jealousy, fear, and ignorance.

Mirrors
Mirrors in this story symbolizes self-understanding of seeing oneself clearly. This may also symbolize portals to alternative realities. At the end of the book, Granger says that they must build a mirror factory to take a look at themselves. This meaning that they should reflect on themselves. Also in the story Montag looks in life's mirror and reflects on himself. When asked if he is happy he gets home to realize he isn't at all. He understands himself and his surroundings more clearly throughout the book. If others characters took time to reflect on themselves they would realize the things Montag did. If Mildred looked in her life mirror she wouldn't see a happy married woman. She would see a depressed person who idolizes her television, and watches it almost every hour of the day. The people in this book do not take the time to look at their lives, this being part of the reason their society is a distopia.

Sand
Sand is a symbol of the truth and knowledge. Sand also represents time and how it passes, the remains of a former structure/building, as well as the Jewish-Christain-Muslim belief in the creation of humantiy.

Sieve
In the novel a sieve is represented to show that the Government can retain knowledge from the populace and mislead the populace with false information. In additon to that, the sieve can represent how Montag cannot fully grasp the meaning of books whe nhe reads them due to the fact there are so many gaps in his knowledge. Montag directly referances a sieve in a memory in part 2: the Sieve and the Sand.

Blood
The symbol of blood represents a human being held back from all of the knowledge that books teach us. In Farenheit 451 the world doesn't know about the amount of knowledge that books inform us of, there is no books aloud. In the book mildred has poisoned blood, which is replaced by the automatic stomach pump.

Posts: 4 | Location: Fort Hood, TX | Registered: 04 January 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These sound like fine observations - but unfortunately they are not YOUR observations. They are copy&pasted from various places such as:

http://www.brighthubeducation....m-in-fahrenheit-451/

http://451fahrenheit.weebly.co...ls-of-the-novel.html

This is a good start, but you need to "internalise" this material and be able to share these ideas in your own words. If you can do that, we can help. (But if all you are going to do is copy and paste, then you won't get much assistance here or anywhere.)

Sorry to sound like a teacher, but... I'm a teacher!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not sure I understand what is wanted either. I did assign a few papers in my day . . .
Here is a cut to the chase:
symbolism realism change in setting development of the plot? theme characterization symbolism allegory irony realism drama
(History papers and biographical papers are not acceptable)
pull from the time period, the war, the location, soldiers, Army, etc.
use the novel and your research to explain why points happened
should have happened, or didn't happen

There does not seem to be a clear cut focus that has been requested. All of the elements can be referred to but in themselves do not address a main argument or observation, in my humble opinion.

I believe woodnarmy needs to contemplated what was gained from the reading. What was the author's main purpose in creating this timeless novel? Then utilize three or four of the elements suggested (ten page paper is a considerable work!) to reinforce his/her interpretation. Develop portions of the paper with these elements and how they support a central concept/argument/lesson you wish to emphasize.

An author uses elements to create the realm of the story, but in themselves they are not the story. Ie., Jack London used "realism" in "To Build a Fire": "It certainly was cold, the man thought." (Great line! Simple and to the point, for it was actually more than -70 degrees F.) However, that is not the essence of the story. Instead, it was the young man's arrogance, inexperience, and lack of understanding of the region (as he was warned by the old-timer) which the reader consistently experiences scene by scene.

So, I would discuss this aspect of the character and how it made all other events and ironies that much more recognizable to the reader.

Do the same with Guy Montag, woodnarmy. Get into Montag's shoes, if you will, to interpret what each of the selected elements did to you/him. Continual recognition of symbols, countless ironies that occurred, extreme characters around you, and the (little talked about) war in the background of the story is actually quite revealing (no one seems too concerned as the jets buzz overhead and the big screens continue to entertain and distract - - sound familiar?!)

I am sure there was more to the discussions of how the paper should be completed. In view of the original post, and its dubious purpose, sometimes keeping things simpler proves to allow for a more productive process.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do the same with Guy Montag

fjp451, thank you for the guidance. Sadly there was no other conversations or guidance given for the paper. I'm taking this course online, and every time I have contacted the instructor I get a similar response to the original instructions. My issue has been the research side of the paper. I don't understand how to bring a literacy device used in the book and turn it into a research paper. I think the point of view you just gave me will help out a great deal. Thanks again.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjp451:
woodynarmy: Yes, my comment on "dubious purpose" was not on your part but on the instructor's. As it is an on-line class, the lack of personal feedback becomes very clear. Ironic too! F451 addresses such "screen futures". (Unfortunate you are not in a classroom with individuals from different backgrounds. The discussions that are created by F451 can be quite dynamic.)

Have you viewed the Fahrenheit 451 movie in its entirety? When we finished the novel in my classes, it was always the culmination of the unit. Though Truffaut's interpretations are often varied from RB's original pages, the feel for the novel is actually enjoyable and now classic. If you find time to watch the screen version, it too may generate some writing energies.

An aspect of the novel I often challenged my HS students with was to identify (examples of) the magnificent use of allusion Mr. Bradbury applies to the growth of Montag. At the beginning of the novel, though curious, Guy lacks enough imagination to recognized the sweet fragrances of apricots and strawberries wafting through the night air are actually emanating from the attractive young gal with whom he has struck up his strange fireman-romantic conversation and is now walking home. By the time Montag is holding the flamethrower in his own living room, sophisticated quotes from Greek philosophers, the Bard, and poets across the centuries have bombarded the protagonist with enough "stuff" to keep even a most astute book enthusiast reeling.

I think your serious approach to doing this paper well will keep you interested and contemplating. There are infinite literary references and reviews of Fahrenheit 451. Also, if you search this site, many topics have been commented on from visitors around the world. Maybe a search in the website's files will assist in some way.

The novel F451 is still being evaluated today, over 60 yrs. since its initial release. Pretty Good!

Original: http://cache.coverbrowser.com/...tine-books/217-1.jpg

Most recent: http://media.tumblr.com/2b3c2d...h7e2j6XHv1qz4rgp.jpg

"There is more than one way to burn a book!" -RB

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woodynarmy:
...Sadly there was no other conversations or guidance given for the paper. I'm taking this course online...

...in which case, woodynarmy, I am now much more sympathetic to your situation! As fjp indicated, you probably really need to discuss ideas and bounce off other people. Online courses don't always allow for this.

The part of your original post which I didn't understand at all was this:

"The research paper can pull from the time period, the war, the location, soldiers, Army, etc."

I just don't see what that has to do with F451.

Anyway, I would still recommend taking ONE of the tutor's questions, and treat that as your research topic. For example: "Does the novel contain a great deal of symbolism?" Obviously yes, but you can then explore the very specific examples which you referred to in your second post.

As research, you could look into where these symbolic ideas come from. Are they absolute, and true for all peoples at all times? Are they culturally specific? Are they archetypes?

I'm not sure what level your course is pitched at, but you might want to look at some of the existing explorations of Bradbury's work. There are a couple of books edited by Harold Bloom which collect key scholarly essays on Bradbury and F451. There's an excellent study by David Mogen, just called "Ray Bradbury". These ones tend to be quite widely available through public libraries and school/college libraries.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
The part of your original post which I didn't understand at all was this:

"The research paper can pull from the time period, the war, the location, soldiers, Army, etc."

I just don't see what that has to do with F451.

Keep searching threads on the subject. In some class discussion of F451 I am sure the Cold War mindset was examined--McCarthyism definitely was!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cold war, yes, most definitely of importance to F451. "War" and "soldiers", not so much.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Cold war, yes, most definitely of importance to F451. "War" and "soldiers", not so much.

The nuclear holocaust was not exactly a "soldier war."

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
quote:

The nuclear holocaust was not exactly a "soldier war."

There is a suggestion (see pg. 90 of 60th aniv. Ed. F451) that actual war or wars are going on, so called "quick wars", with soldiers being called in and said to be back soon, like today.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Linnl,

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're right, Linnl! But my lasting impression of the novel is that this is very much a background element.

In fact, one of Bradbury's achievements (by accident or by design) is that we really learn very little about the governmental system that rules Montag's world.

If Ray were a camera, his pictures show a shallow depth of field. The point of interest (Montag) is in sharp focus, but the background is rendered as a blur. (And I mean this as a compliment, not a criticism!)

Contrast with Orwell's NINETEEN EIGHTY-FOUR, where the reader finds out a lot of information about the competing empires controlling the world, and all about the strategies of control they put into practice. The reader knows far more than Winston Smith ever will.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Here is a very interesting series of past comments related to Phil's post:

https://raybradburyboard.com/ev...867046566#3867046566

I know the city "rising into the sky and turning over on itself" has also been addressed (amazing imagery). Yet, the amount of time spent on the "War" passes as fast as the jets overhead and the debris falling all around. RB's purpose was about that also, but most about newspapers with no words in them. . .

"There is More Than One Way to Burn a BooK."

posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone for your input and guidance. I have managed to complete 5 pages on my research paper, but need a little bit of help with my thesis statement. Do you guy's mind assisting me and taking a look at my thesis. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thesis: Bradbury starts off using the symbolism of fire, the Phoenix and the Salamander to demonstrate power and destruction, however; throughout the story the original meaning of these symbols begin to transform much like the protagonist Guy Montag, and eventually other symbols like the sieve and the river shed light on the transformation of Montag. All of these symbols come together with the use of allegory to bring an understanding of the larger issues faced by our society today, such as, censorship and the overuse of technology.

The thesis capture what I'm wanting to write about and I have been able to start writing my paper, but I feel it needs some work.