Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Becoming Ray Bradbury
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Becoming Ray Bradbury
 Login/Join

posted
In case you're not aware of it, Jon Eller's new book BECOMING RAY BRADBURY is published in a few days (1 August). I've reviewed it for my website, here.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know if this books has actually been released? Amazon.com still shows it as not released.

Posts: 112 | Location: Around Greentown | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amazon showing August 22, 2011 release date.

Phil: Has this been released?

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dark:
Amazon showing August 22, 2011 release date.

Hmmm... that date sounds familiar.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put in a pre-order. Turns out I'm an optimist, after all! Red Face)

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just got an email from Amazon that my copy of Becoming Bradbury shipped. Can't wait!!

Posts: 112 | Location: Around Greentown | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just received my copy today. It looks fantastic! Just browsing through it I've learned a lot about the development of Ray's writing and where his style fit in to the time, and excerpts from critics (reviewers, not haters) of his writing from the very beginning. Excellent resource and the writing, though scholarly, is quite readable!

Strongly recommend this!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dark:
...Excellent resource and the writing, though scholarly, is quite readable!

Strongly recommend this!

Hear hear!

I reviewed it a couple of weeks ago. My review is here.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And here is a review in the Washington Post by Pulitzer winner Michael Dirda:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/...IQAuTgzLJ_story.html

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
And here is a review in the Washington Post by Pulitzer winner Michael Dirda...

What a terrific review. (That's why Dirda has a Pulitzer and I don't!) Every review I've seen so far has been positive. Jon seems to have got it absolutely right with this one.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Here is a link to an article publihsed today from the Indiana University News Center about the new release Becoming Ray Bradbury by Jonathan R. Eller:

http://newscenter.iupui.edu/52...Book-on-Ray-Bradbury

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
L: Good post. One gets a keen sense of the publication's tone and themes from the article. As I now finish my second reading of GSWW, it will be interesting to get Mr. Eller's text and to hear of the many anecdotes that delivered Mr. B to the cliff, how he jumped off and then made his wings on the way down! A true Zen in the Art Writing narration, I am sure!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes.
Here is another (cool), article from NEW SCIENTIST titled HOW SCIENCE SHAPED THE STORIES OF RAY BRADBURY by Jonathan R. Eller:
http://www.newscientist.com/bl...of-ray-bradbury.html

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quite interesting to consider where would we be today if RB's energies had been scientific and technological vs. artist and metaphoric. No doubt, we could have actually been reading stories of life in Alpha Centauri as we sipped exquisite wine on a majestic ridge of an ancient Martian canal.

Not that we have missed anything because of the road he ventured upon. Instead, we are truly all better off in so many ways. There would not have been an RB Board on which to share his seventy years of metaphors and to ponder his unparalleled images.

This speaks of Mr. B:
http://poetrypages.lemon8.nl/l...ken/roadnottaken.htm

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Linnl:
...Here is another (cool), article from NEW SCIENTIST...

Another good find, Linnl! Bradbury is often listed among UNscientific SF writers, but this article makes it clear that he is as well read in scientific topics are he is in the arts, and that even his non-SF stories took some basis from science.

- Phil