Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Bradbury/Poe Connection

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bradbury/Poe Connection
 Login/Join

posted
Anyone who has any info on this topic or any good links to help me with this please help me! I haven't read much Bradbury stuff, and the last one I remember reading was The Veldt. But I just read a whole book of Poe's works so I don't need anything on him. Thanks!

Posts: 2 | Location: ***** | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In answer to the question by lethal,
Was Ray Bradbury influenced by Edgar Allen Poe? If so, how was he? Has Poe influenced any other authors (preferably European)? Any help is welcome and greatly appreciated.

I wrote:
Yes, he started reading Poe's stories at the age of 8. Poe appears as a character in the short story "The Exiles," and is mentioned in several of Ray's poems and his nostalgic Halloween article. "Usher II" is based on a Poe theme.

By the way, guys, it's Edgar Allan Poe, and I'd suggest you start with these. Perhaps someone else could suggest specific Bradbury titles to be compared with specific Poe titles.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I read that but I need more info! My group needs to write a 3 page essay on the Poe/Bradbury thing and it's due in 2 days!!! Help! Anyone!

Posts: 2 | Location: ***** | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^_^ You make us sound so unproffesional, Rachel...

The assignment was given to us a day ago. We haven't had much time.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is too late to be helpful, but when you read Bradbury's afterwards, introductions, forwards, etc., you see that his experiences are widely spread. Showing Poe as a significant influence and comparing the nature of that influence aginst other Bradbury-acknowledged sources (Burroughs, Verne, Wells, Carnivals, Aunts reading Poe, uncles, Buck Rogers, etc.) may have been an easier thesis statement. Looking into his own writings (stories and poems) for Poe references and talking to those, as opposed to going to secondary sources might be a better idea, also.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, it's not too late. Thank you very much for the information!!!

Posts: 4 | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post