Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    "The Man" analysis (The Illustrated Man)/ what does Bradbury means?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"The Man" analysis (The Illustrated Man)/ what does Bradbury means?
 Login/Join

posted
Help. If anybody knows or can helpme with the analysis of Bradbury's short story "The Man" from the "Illustrated Man" please tell me what you know. T-T

Posts: 31 | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Man"....
.... was a tale of Jesus Christ on other worlds. The Captain of the spaceship always 'just' misses Christ on each planet.. As the story progresses, he misses him by seconds, and will forever miss Christ by even smaller time.
But an earlier expedition finds Christ, as they quietly walk into a city where He is, the captain in furious rage goes on and on, always just missing Christ.

I like to think that Ray, influenced in some measure by Christianity somewhere in his family, had the correct notion here. That is to say, it is only the spirit of Christ that moves one to find 'Him', and not the self servicing space-traveling-rage of, in this case, a 'mad' Captain.

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...or a captain that wants Christ on his own terms?

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It means, that if you want to find Christ, you have to search in your soul, and not in the outter world.

Christ said 'my kingdom is not on the Earth, but in heaven' - that what the story tells.

Posts: 105 | Location: orenburg, russian federation | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe don't be too literal and analytical regarding spiritual matters--some things ARE matters of faith and can never completely be dissected and explained by scientific means, if at all.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post