Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    What Mel Gibson has 'started'.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Mel Gibson has 'started'.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Newsweek has weighed in with what I'd consider a mixed review. Too violent, too brutal, not enough character development to justify or illustrate why such brutality is justified. Fair 'nuff, I guess. Gibson gets higher marks for his artistry, which is nice. Reviewer is apparantly not a believer so I can see why he might view the movie as he has. I'd counter that believers know the "back story," so no point in presenting it. I understand Ebert and Roeper have given it two thumbs up though I suppose Ebert won't post his review until the movie opens on Wednesday.

Posts: 547 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, Ebert gave his review on his late night Sunday TV program... and couldn't say enough good things about it.

It was especially interesting to actually hear him preaching the gospel, unbeknownst to him, since he was trying to state the premise of the story, and the meaning to Christians behind it all...and in the process, really gave a nice mini sermon. See, another example: You can say it all and sound absolutely right on, and in reality don't have the foggiest notion of what you are really saying.....

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard,

Glad to hear the positive review from Ebert. I read his column regularly and have problems with much of what he has to say but I'll have to admit, he gives most movies a fair shake. I may disagree with him on some of his reviews but at least I know he's fairly consistent. And glad to hear he gave an "accidental" mini-sermon, too.

Pete

Posts: 547 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard,

Just came across the print summary in the Sun-Times of the Ebert and Roeper show. To paraphrase the Pope, it is as you say it was. Can't wait to read Ebert's full review. Here's the link: http://www.suntimes.com/output/movies/cst-nws-passion22.html

Pete

posted Hide Post
pterran:

Read the background of the actor who portrays Jesus, James Caviezel. Note especially the number of lightning strikes encountered....

...which makes me think:
Where was that lightning-rod salesman, from 'Something Wicked This Way Comes', when you need him?
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001029/bio

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 02-23-2004).]

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A tie-in to Bradbury! . . . bravo, Nard!!!

:-)

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hear it's opening against the remake of DAWN OF THE DEAD. A movie about one guy risng from the dead versus a movie about EVERYONE rising from the dead.

Posts: 69 | Location: Matthews, NC, USA | Registered: 20 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard,

I second Mr. Dark's remark. Good show in bringing the topic back to Bradbury, old sport.

posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark:
pterran:

Well, actually, I'm personally letting off a little steam with this topic string...

You see, since Ray Bradbury was a very important person on my road to getting "saved"..."saved" meaning the Holy Spirit of the Risen Christ literally blasting into my psyche and soul one bright sunny afternoon in California...I have since then felt very compelled to bring the 'Good News' of Jesus Christ to Ray.

Oh, there's been long stretches where I find a very bumpy road in my personal life, in coming to grasp with my sin nature that wars against the Spirit of Christ. The Holy Spirit, I am learning, helps me to grow in understanding this diabolical nature of that 'fallenness' within me....forever unrepairable, forever damned...and the 'saving grace' of Christ, who loves me back into the person God originally intended by exchanging His spirit for mine, my sin. I am...thus, a new person, a second birthing.

It's all a gift.
Everything's a gift.

And so I bring Mel Gibson's movie, 'The Passion of the Christ', into this topic, foremost because both Ray and Mel Gibson, at least for a while, attempted to work together...on the 'Fahrenheit 451' project. Gee, I remember there was talk even of Tom Cruise playing Montag. Ray was very excited. He talked about Gibson a lot, wherever he went.

And lo and behold, here's this film Mel Gibson does that Ray MUST behold. Good Grief. I've been talking to Ray about this Christ a long while. How many more years does anyone have. Eternity is knocking on a lot of doors.

Gibson did a wonderful interview on a Catholic cable channel the other day, about being able to peer into the 'forever'...getting those little glimpses and ..."you know it's real". That's how the Holy Spirit shows you things. If I could go back 15 centuries ago, and talked to a Christian believer, he would have seen many of the things I already have or Gibson is now seeing. It is stark realty sitting, right there. That's why Christ said the Kingdom is at hand. It's right there. But you must be born again to see it.
Okay. I'm getting carried away.

I'll be seeing Ray this Saturday night, if he is at his closing night at his play, 'Drunk and in Charge of a Bicycle'. I went to multiple performances when he first did his other Irish play, 'Falling Upward', way back around 1988 thereabouts. This one should be a hoot!

I promise! I'll try to contain myself...and speak with a level head, for the time there I may have in conversation with Ray...

posted Hide Post
Nard:

Understood.

You've told me how Ray led you to Christ, though not a fundamentalis/orthodox Christian himself. It's a pretty cool story actually -- kind of in the line of "God works in mysterious ways . . ."

Have a great trip out there! Tell Ray hi from all of us here in his virtual fan club.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 02-23-2004).]

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And I also promise no posts for awhile from me, after this one...

This is the text from the "Andy Rooney" 'wacko' piece on CBS' 60 minutes:
(click on, or type into finder): http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/02/19/60minutes/rooney/main601254.shtml

(Got 'Fandango' tickets to see the movie for this Thursday matinee)

posted Hide Post
We'll be looking forward to a trip report!

posted Hide Post
Nard,
If it(Ray) ain't broke, don't fix it.
Adios, all.

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my wife's christian friends has already seen the film. She was disgusted.

Posts: 69 | Location: Matthews, NC, USA | Registered: 20 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see a movie about The Crusades, one not told from christianity's point of view. What are the chances of that ever happening and who do you think would be protesting the release of it?

[This message has been edited by grasstains (edited 02-25-2004).]

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post