Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    What Mel Gibson has 'started'.
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Mel Gibson has 'started'.
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
JRS:

Frank Darabont, in the last few weeks, only begun to work on the 'Fahrenheit 451' script, since completing 'Indiana Jones 4'. So if you find a new script of 'Fahrenheit 451' online, let Frank Darabont know about it...

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Smith,

I think Patrick was joking. At least I took it that way. Try to grow a thicker skin.

Pete

Posts: 547 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh. I thought Ray Bradbury was writing a new Farenheit 451 script.

Lots of new scripts are posted online. I found Peter Jackson's new KING KONG script online months ago. And they haven't even started filming it, yet. (At least, I don't think they have.)

Posts: 69 | Location: Matthews, NC, USA | Registered: 20 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JRSmith

Per your comment about the brutality of 'The Passion', and the twisted directorial mind of Gibson, as noted in another post...

Well, James, consider this:

Each beating depicted on Christ, is different than, for instance, your example of the cruelty of the concentration camps.

In this way:

My big-time ignorance of Christ's laws, an ignorance inbred in my nature, (you got that?) is so complete, that it is ME...that deserves what Christ went thru.

So...it's more than just beatings, it's the mental anguish, the spiritual loss, that Christ went thru. Scripture reads that ALL things in the past and in the future, find their point in time on one man...that is to say, all circumstances thruout history find a pivotal point of release on one man's actions which is, in this scenario, being brought to a place of death. With this understanding...each whip, each mocking, is a "release" in the Christian's soul..that someone (Christ) loved so overwhelming, so complete, that 'he' makes all this personal and redemptive.

That's why so many tears in the theater.

They are NOT crying because they are feeling sorry for Christ. A believer is coming to grips with his own utter failure and the undescribable wonder of God's love. Painters, artists, try to paint it, express it. Poets try to write about it. Now, and thruout centuries. The people in power didn't decide to change the calendar back to the Year 1 because Christ was some passing crucifxion. It was an event so great that the calendar started over again....That's why some people are trying to use C.E. afer the present calendar, instead of A.D. C.E. get's rid of any reference to Christ (common era)...versus A.D. anno Domini ( in the year of our Lord. )

Now...if you don't know this about God's love thru Christ...(I didn't sufficiently until probably the last 10 or 12 yrs....and I am still learning...)... If you don't know this, well, then, what's left ??
Well, there is brutality,
violence,
and well...that's that.

Once again, your upset that we're talking religion...
Well.. DON'T read some of Ray's 'religious' poems, and definitely not his short story, 'The Man'. Or his poem about God fingerprinting Thee ! No no, please.....

Finally...
...with all your short story publishing, and comic background, have you learned anything besides your own point of view?? I've been on your side of the fence. Surely, you must have heard of me, especially in the underground comic field. My first name gives it away.....But I don't care to go back there anymore...!!

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 03-04-2004).]

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your faith runs deep, Nard. I'm glad that you've let up on Smith a bit. He does have good points out here.
Cheers,
Translator

Lem Reader

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, everyone,

I've started a new thread under Ray's Legacy. Join me, won't you, in discussing these and other topics entirely unrelated to Ray Bradbury.

Pete

Posts: 547 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
JRSmith

Well.. DON'T read some of Ray's 'religious' poems, and definitely not his short story, 'The Man'. Or his poem about God fingerprinting Thee ! No no, please.....

Finally...
...with all your short story publishing, and comic background, have you learned anything besides your own point of view?? I've been on your side of the fence. Surely, you must have heard of me, especially in the underground comic field. My first name gives it away.....But I don't care to go back there anymore...!!

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 03-04-2004).]

I have read some underground comics. Not sure if I've read any of yours.

I read religious poetry all of the time. I'm a big fan of The Beats. Just read an amazing poem (coincidentally, today) about Jesus written by Ferlinghetti and was so struck by it that now must go out and buy a volume of his poetry. I don't mind reading religious work from time to time, as long as it's not written in a dogmatic form, and as long as it's not used to injure other people or to accuse those who do not accept its tenets, and as long as those espousing such do not attack those who aren't among that religion's adherents.

Posts: 69 | Location: Matthews, NC, USA | Registered: 20 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JRS:
Okay!

Gibson's ""The Passion..."" went over the $200. million dollar mark this weekend. Wow. That was fast. It hasn't even opened in Mexico yet, a strongly Catholic country. And Good Friday is a few weeks away, the beginning setting for the movie... Look out box office!

Last evening, ""The Last Temptation of Christ."" was on TV. Having never seen it before, I watched it for awhile. What a mess !! And they say Scorcesse studied to be a Catholic priest?

Ray Bradbury wrote all the narration of the motion picture, '""The King of Kings""...years ago. Time to check it out of a local video store and see just how well Ray did, having seen only snippets of it thru the years.
http://www.movbuy.com/Classics-Movies/King-of-Kings.asp

This following one you have to scroll down 3/4 of the way...to see Ray Bradbury mentioned... http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/02/24/1077594823703.html?from=storyhs

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 03-07-2004).]

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
JRS:
Okay!

Last evening, ""The Last Temptation of Christ."" was on TV. Having never seen it before, I watched it for awhile. What a mess !! And they say Scorcesse studied to be a Catholic priest?

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 03-07-2004).]

I rather liked "The Last Temptation of Christ". Not because it was offensive in any way, but because it showed the human side of Jesus. I can see where a fundamentalist would not want to see such a depiction, but for me it was quite moving. I own a copy on dvd and have viewed it a number of times.

posted Hide Post
James Robert Smith

But Jesus IS fully human & fully God.

A contrast of natures it would seem, eh? But you must portray both. And at the same time. Gibson pulled that off ...oh, just enough. But how great an artist must one be to pull it off just a 'little more'. Well... Very Great, just to begin with.

As to "The Last Temptation"...I found it unwatchable. I felt Scorcesse was portraying personalities he had no idea about along with hiring a few wrong actors to boot. The story is heretical as well. The Catholic Church, for instance, banned Catholics from even so much as reading the book many years ago. But there are a few that take the book by Nikos Kazantzakis seriously...

JRS:

I'll relate to you one of those passages in scripture of Christ's crucifixion that can activate the imagination....
Scripture notes that 'before' the foundation of the earth, Christ was already crucified. His life, and all the events leading up to and including his crucifixion, were 'displayed' (made manifest) in 'life' for our benefit, so we could actually see what took place...long before. Now figure THAT one out in your spare time... And how would YOU put THAT on the screen...??

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 03-11-2004).]

posted Hide Post
At the risk of fanning the flames...
I mentioned my faith in another thread. I am a Christian. And, I just saw The Passion tonight.
After I go have my breakdown, I will not be the same person.
I don't expect non-Christians to get it. I expect Christians to be completely changed by it. It dispels the anti-septic view of Christ and the Crucifixion that we have built up over the last few hundred years.
I am not Catholic, but, if they are the ones to portray the truth (as I believe it is), then more power to them.
If you haven't seen it and you profess Christianity, see it.
If you do not believe as we do, see it or not. It won't make a bit of difference.

Clay

AIM = Tilt Boss

Posts: 17 | Location: San Antonio, TX USA | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few things:

As far as Christian movies go, I usually make a conscoius effort to avoid them. I'm Jewish and I see no reason to get someone else's doctrine forced down my throat. Actually, I give most religious movies overall a miss. That is MY choice. That said, one of my favorite movies is "Jesus Christ Superstar." My high-school boyfriend convinced me to give it some attention, and I'm glad I did. Aside from the totally rockin' music, the story is told (at least it seems to me) in a fairly even-handed way--good and bad on all sides, etc. I am not so familiar with the historical facts to judge the veracity of it, though...

I think "A Clockwork Orange" is a fabulous movie. I liked the book, too, until I lost my original copy on loan to someone and replaced it with a new edition. To my horror, it had a happy ending! Apparently, that was Anthony Burgess' original intent. It certainly put a different face on little Alex.

As far as a screenwriter for F451, what about Lawrence Kasdan? He ghost wrote "Star Wars" among others, and I think he would do a great job.

[This message has been edited by jfaronson (edited 03-14-2004).]

Posts: 116 | Location: Akron, Ohio, USA | Registered: 30 October 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jfaronson:

Actually...nothing is really preached in "The Passion"... and no doctrine is jammed down your throat...except the ''doctrine'' of crucifixion.
If you want to call common sense preaching, then the only thing preached is... love one another, and do good to those that harm you.

So... I wouldn't be alarmed by this movie. If you don't believe anything along these Jewish lines... and Christianity IS Jewish.... it's a most interesting movie on its own...

posted Hide Post
Nard:

I wasn't specifically referring to the Mel Gibson movie. I was generalizing.

I think the basic tenets of most religions are the same--the differences become evident in the interpretations.

Posts: 116 | Location: Akron, Ohio, USA | Registered: 30 October 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jfaronson:
Most religions are the same? Okay... which ones have a ''Saviour'''...that exchanged their life for their beloved...and died...came back from the dead... and sends his Spirit into the mind of those who ask...?

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 03-12-2004).]