Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The 1954 Retrospective Hugo Award Winners

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 1954 Retrospective Hugo Award Winners
 Login/Join

posted
Best Novel - Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Best Novella - "A Case of Conscience" by James Blish
Best Novelette - "Earthman, Come Home" by James Blish
Best Short Story - "The Nine Billion Names of God" by Arthur C. Clarke
Best Related Book - Conquest of the Moon by Wernher von Braun, Fred L. Whipple & Willy Ley
Best Professional Editor - John W. Campbell, Jr.
Best Professional Artist - Chesley Bonestell
Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form - The War of the Worlds
Best Fanzine - Slant, Walter Willis, ed.; James White, art editor
Best Fan Writer - Bob Tucker

We have been waiting 50 years for this moment

----
Pavel

http://immersion.raybradbury.ru

Posts: 105 | Location: orenburg, russian federation | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GREAT!!!

I wonder if they'll be awarding best novel, novella, and short story for 1957 in three years. That year for some reason they only awarded the mags.

Hmmm...What did Ray have published that year?

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And...

That gives Sir James Blish the distinction of winning two Hugos for the same story. A CASE OF CONSCIENCE won for Best Novel a few years later after he expanded it.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why is nobody excited about this other than elron and I? Ray Bradbury won a 'freakin' HUGO for FAHRENHEIT'freakin'451!

The other nominees were:
MISSION OF GRAVITY by Hal Clement
CHILDHOOD'S END by A.C. Clarke
MORE THAN HUMAN by Theodore Sturgeon
CAVES OF STEEL by Isaac Asimov

What a great year. What great books. What great authors. And our guy won! Where's our enthusiasm? Let's celebrate, congratulate, and even gloat, alot.

"HIP, HIP, HOO-RAY!"
"HIP, HIP, HOO-RAY!"
"HIP, HIP, HOO-RAY!"
"For he's a jolly good fellow"
"For he's a jolly good fellow"
"For he's a jolly good felloOOW"
"Which nobody can deny"

posted Hide Post
Some of us are speechless with excitement.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm very excited about it. I've had a hard time getting into the Resources page sometimes. I had not heard this.

That is the novel that turned me on to everything else. A seminal moment for me.

I loved Sturgeon's "More Than Human" and Asimov's "Childhood's End", also. But without F451 turning me on to reading and thinking, I would never have read them.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post