Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Teacher would like your input

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Teacher would like your input
 Login/Join

posted
Hello, and thanks for your help. I teach Fahrenheit 451 to high school sophomores. In the past, we have segued from F451 into a unit on banned books. I like this idea because it allows students the chance to choose their own books, and it's usually quite successful. Because I am going with the theme of censorship after the novel, I'd like to find an interesting way to introduce the novel. I was thinking of starting with a unit of Bradbury short stories. Any suggestions on short stories to use? I'd also love to be able to find a few episodes of Ray Bradbury Theatre. It doesn't air in my area (or does it still air at all?) Any tips you can offer will be greatly appreciated!

Posts: 3 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky USA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about the chapter from Martian Chronicles called Usher II? It's all about censorship and a really great story. If your students aren't familiar with Poe, you'd need to do a little pre-teaching so they catch all the references to his work. I did this with a seventh grade class. I gave them a brief synopsis of the various Poe stories in advance of reading Usher II and it really helped. It was a success in that they enjoyed the story and also got turned on to Poe!

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another Ray Bradbury story related to the suppression of ideas is "Pillar of Fire". See the stream under:

-- Ray Bradbury Discussion Board
-- Resources
-- Ongoing Themes
-- Read through the string for some interpretations of the story.

Pillar of Fire is found in "A Medicine For Melancholy" and "S is for Space", at least. It may be in other collections, also.

Both use fire as a means of purging "evil" or "harmful" ideas and feelings (in F451, firemen burn books, in Pillar of Fire, things/people are burned in incinerators). Both also deal with why ideas "should" be suppressed.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 01-04-2003).]

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Exiles" - Ill. Man
"The Pedestrian" - from Golden Apples is a great tie in!
(It is also a RB Theater episode.)

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I Sing The Body Electric, is an excellent source of Ray Bradbury's short stories. It might be worth a gander.

Posts: 2 | Location: sioux city, iowa, usa | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another Bradbury irony: I just saw this today and now I can pass it on!

See SciFi Channel "Twilight Zone" schedule for the episode of Body Electric - to be aired January 22 @ 12:30 am and again at 12:30 pm!!

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I taught "Kaleidoscope" from 'The Illustrated Man' to my 12th graders last year, and it was a big hit. I also taught "Usher II" and "The Exiles" to 10th graders...Also hits!

-Greg

Posts: 139 | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much for your help! I'm really excited about this unit. Special thanks to Frank Palumbo for the resources you sent!
Wendy

Posts: 3 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky USA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As for Ray Bradbury Theater, you can get it on DVD from Amazon and other online stores. You may even find some parts of my website useful (see URL below).

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post