Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Cabbage Night

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cabbage Night
 Login/Join

posted
Could you explain what Cabbage Night is.
It was mentioned in the beginning of the second chapter of "Something wicked this way comes".

Posts: 16 | Location: msk, russia | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Halloween Eve... is Cabbage Night

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks

Posts: 16 | Location: msk, russia | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't know that. What's the origin? Why Cabbage Night? It's not like Linus's waiting for the Great Pumpkin in a pumpkin patch, is it?

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never heard of it, either. But here's a link that may explain things:
http://hcs.harvard.edu/~golder/dialect/staticmaps/q_110.html

Don't thank me. I just Googled it.

Dave

Posts: 229 | Location: Van Nuys, CA USA | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't happen to have a copy of Something Wicked This Way Comes (I have the incessant habit of giving copies away) ....but the term Cabbage Night is only used to to denote Halloween Eve in ...."Vermont".

Now Something Wicked.... is set in Green Town, Illinois (Northern Illinois)...BUT something of the movie, I remembering hearing, was shot in Vermont, tho most of it was done on the Disney lot. Hmmmm!!?

So where does THAT leave us...?

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 01-01-2003).]

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Cabbage Patch, USA.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Forget Cabbage Night, what the hell is a bumbershoot!?

Posts: 229 | Location: Van Nuys, CA USA | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe it is a slang (or maybe colloquial use) for an "umbrella."

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WritingReptile::::::::::::::It is a totally extravagant Arts Festival...with Ten Thousand (10,000) descriptions of expressions of Art, Music, Theater, etc etc.........all together, in 'One Place'....!!!!!

(Guess what!? It also means an umbrella...)

Click on::: http://www.bumbershoot.org

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 01-02-2003).]

posted Hide Post
Amazing. To think before today I'd never heard of a bumbershoot. But why isn't there a cabbagenight.org?

PS from now on I vow to only refer to my umbrella as a bumbershoot.

[This message has been edited by WritingReptile (edited 01-02-2003).]

posted Hide Post
10x to all.
But still, why this night is cabbage and not carrots or for example tobacco.
Does anybody know the ethimology?

posted Hide Post
Can anyone enlighten us further?

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Bumbershoot" it is.

Oh, we were talking "cabbage night".

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post