Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Conference
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Conference
 Login/Join

posted
I've known of this for a couple of months, but wasn't sure whether I was allowed to say anything. But now it's official: Ray Bradbury is going to be the special guest at the J. Lloyd Eaton Conference, "Chronicling Mars", at University of California Riverside in May 2008...

...and I hope to be there (for some of the conference, at least) to present a paper on Bradbury's Mars!

It's an academic conference for scholars of SF. Full details here:

http://library.ucr.edu/?l=news&article=540

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First I've heard of this. I may try to get there as well. Thanks so much for flagging this!!!!!

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go for it, Mr D! Propose a paper! The organiser of the conference is George Slusser, who (as I'm sure you know) is himself a scholar of Bradbury.

If you email me, I'll send you the abstract I sent in (which has been accepted).

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil:

I just sent an email, and am looking forward to hearing back. I have already reached out to Dr. Slusser. We'll see what he says.

Very Best,

Mr. Dark/Eric

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Philnic, what great news! But you have to, on your way home, detour south to Sunrise, Florida to say hi!

If I were to have the werewithal I would love to attend as well. Will it be invitation only or is it open to SF fans?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr D, I just replied to your email!

biplane1, I believe the conference is open to all. Most attendees will probably be academics rather than fans. I assume there will be a fee for attending the conference.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Wherewithal is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil: I got an okay to do the abstract by the 15th, with a paper to follow, so I'm working that up now. I'll send it to you when I'm done. Also, I've looked hide-n-hair for that book I mentioned. I can't find it anywhere. It is not in the place I normally keep it. I'll still nose around, and if I can remember the title I'll get that to you. It is not forgotten, it is lost. I'm afraid I may have sent if off to Half-Price Books (do they have those in England?)

Thanks again for flagging the conference. I had not heard of it at all until your post.

posted Hide Post
Mr D, no problem about the book. I have a lengthy reading list to work through anyway. If the title or author occurs to you, let me know.

I just saw a message on the SF Research Association message list from someone else who is proposing an Eaton Conference paper. His paper is about (sentient?) Martian plant-life in SF!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
wow Phil, talk about academia!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, at least it's not a Star Trek convention (fun though those may be!). We at least know that Ray is real . . .

posted Hide Post
More details on the conference now available at the conference website:

http://eatonconference.ucr.edu/index.php

Conference fee is $55 per day, or $110 for all three days.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
On which day will our favourite Bradbury scholar from the UK be there?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure; they haven't published the schedule yet.

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Phil, last night I told Ray all about our favourite Bradbury scholar from the UK - how you run the best Bradbury Media site ever, how you'll be presenting a paper at the conference, etcetera, and he said to be sure to introduce you - he'd love to meet you.

So there you go!

"Live Forever!"