Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Conference
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Conference
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Photos by tomorrow.

It was delightful to meet the charming Mr Dark & philnic, as well.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Photos.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for this Doug Spaulding. Except everyone looks subdued in earthtones and shadows. Where's the sparkle of daylight? Good to see Fred Pohl. Lives just a hope skip and jump from Oak Park, Illinois. Surprised that he is up to such extensive travel nowadays.

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So close, yet so far!
I was in L.A. Thursday but had to leave Friday - without even seeing the Laurel & Hardy steps! Drat!
Good to connect faces with pseudonyms - thanks, Doug!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by embroiderer:
Thanks for this Doug Spaulding. Except everyone looks subdued in earthtones and shadows. Where's the sparkle of daylight? Good to see Fred Pohl. Lives just a hope skip and jump from Oak Park, Illinois. Surprised that he is up to such extensive travel nowadays.

You're quite welcome - my pleasure!

It was pretty deep inside an inner room, so some scenes were not ideally lit (after several glasses of wine, some guests might have been!).

Yes, Frederik lives in Palatine, and is almost a year older than Ray. Anyone notice that his Wikipaedia entry has a photo from yesterday's event?

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
So close, yet so far!
I was in L.A. Thursday but had to leave Friday - without even seeing the Laurel & Hardy steps! Drat!
Good to connect faces with pseudonyms - thanks, Doug!

You're most welcome!

You should have stayed over a couple days and attended this event. Also, philnic asked me about the Stan & Ollie staircase, but I didn't have the address on my person, and he was off to Palm Springs the next day, so I couldn't show him.

Still, five or six board members is about as many as I can recall being together recently, so it was a good time.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
In Doug's photo entitled 'Three More Legends' he was not referring to the riffraff in the background as the legends...

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where's the sparkle of daylight?

The sparkle of daylight was 107 degrees.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was warmish.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Viscount is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Doug:

Thanks for posting these so quickly. It was a fantastic weekend. Great to meet the board members and get a shot with the great one. Also great to watch the panel discussion with Ray Bradbury and Frederick Pohl. Also great to participate on a panel with the great and gracious Phil Nichols. I got to sit next to Dr. Larry Niven in two sessions. Enjoyed the panel discussion with David Brin, Greg Bear, etc., also. The highlights: Spending some time with the fantastic Mr. Bradbury, and meeting and spending time with my esteemed colleagues on the Bradbury Message Boards. Great to see you guys!!!!!!!!!

The spark of daylight was in our hearts!!!

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi,
Wow - what a great conference! I am so happy to have gotten to meet y'all and seeing Ray was (as always)an amazing experience. I am still smiling. I will try to get my photos posted tonight.
-Patricia

Posts: 86 | Location: Bernalillo, NM USA | Registered: 16 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
is there a way to post a couple pictures in the site itself (since I don't have a web site)?

NEVERMIND. I did a photo gallery. I actually figured something out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mr. Dark,

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A great time was had by all. Somehow Mr Dark and I managed to not bump into each other until seconds before we were due on stage.

It was quite remarkable to see the conference room double in size - a collapsible wall folded away to reveal a whole other audience, gathered just to hear Ray speak.

Nard, Doug Spaulding, jkt, Mr Dark and PatR: it was a pleasure to meet you all, and I hope we get to do it again some time. BII: shame you couldn't stay for the meeting of the Board!

When I set off for California, I was very pushed for time (I have an awful lot of work to do at thias time of year, leaving me little time to prepare for the conference). I fully intended to come to LA with the address of the L&H steps written down, and with details of shopping malls that RB had contributed to the design of, to go and visit. And loads of other stuff. I'll obviously have to come again to catch up with what I missed.

I did manage to get to Venice, and grabbed some snaps of the canals. (There is an RB connection there, of course - see Death is a Lonely Business!)

And on the question of the quality of the photos: some of my conference photos are poor. The conference room itself had no daylight. The ambient lighting wasn't good enough for my camera, and yet the room was too big for the camera's flash to be of much use. I'll be posting my photos in the next couple of days.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
I'll obviously have to come again to catch up with what I missed.

Yes, it takes at least two weeks to even begin to see LA and its surroundings properly! Do try again some other time.

quote:

And on the question of the quality of the photos: some of my conference photos are poor. The conference room itself had no daylight. The ambient lighting wasn't good enough for my camera, and yet the room was too big for the camera's flash to be of much use.

As all filmmakers know, lighting is everything!

"Live Forever!"