Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Farwell Summer: Bradbury vs Bradbury
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Farwell Summer: Bradbury vs Bradbury
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Well, Ray has always said 'throw up in the morning, clean up at night'.

The philosophy is 'get those thoughts down on paper the moment they occur'. But LATER, apply the intellect, take your time to shape it into something readable. Fifty-odd years in Ray's case!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chapter 31, that was the admonition that Richard Bach (Jonathan Livingston Seagull, et. al.) always gave me, write it down. He always had some scrap of paper, napkins, matchbook covers, whatever, where he would jot a note to remind him later of a thought. When I was back in Minnesota and going through mounds of stuff in my sister-in-law's basement I came across all my letters back home to my first wife, also maps, and notes. I have always wanted to write a book about the lighter side (could there have been one?) of Viet Nam and have written one chapter with the title of "Have You Ever Taken a Bucket To the Bathroom?" Well, have you?

And, of course, I believe that Richard got the idea from Ray, but I could be wrong.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the lighter moments:

Viet Nam, Mothers Day, 1968. Daylight--not hours of darkness. I’m in the shower (sort of an open air affair) buck-naked. I’m shaving and looking into a little mirror I had propped up in front of me when the first rocket comes in and the mirror falls. I run out of the shower, look for shelter and see a Zulu-Three bunker off to my left. I run out of my shower shoes and into the bunker and right behind me are about six other buck-naked dudes.

I never did find the shower shoes.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Put in those terms, the writing subject makes sense. Always does.

Posts: 7303 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out this somewhat tepid, yet interesting Sci-Fi online review of Farewell Summer.

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/books/sfw13920.html

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Paul Di Filippo's review at SciFi.com, linked above, is probably the most astute yet.

Favorite parts: Doug Spaulding is the "budding Buddha of Dandelion Wine," and if the original novel had a message, it was to "see, feel and appreciate."

Posts: 103 | Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I just finished "Farewell Summer". I agree with Biplane that it's too short! It's good to be back in Greentown for awhile, but I wish there was more of a 'flow' between the two books. Also, when did Doug's grandparents live in a different house than his? Did I miss that in D.W? I guess I'll have to read that again...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"One night each week he was allowed to leave father, his mother, and his younger brother Tom asleep in their small house next door and run here, up the spiral stairs to his grandparents' cupola, and in his sorcerer's tower sleep with thunders and visions, to awake before the crystal jingle of milk bottles and perform his ritual magic."

DW, pg. 1

(I can still vividly hear Old Mr."Orly" Greene, pulling into our driveway in his panel truck before 5:00am and jingling the bottles as he took away the empties and replaced them with fresh-filled ones.)

Posts: 2804 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whew. Thanks, Butch. I guess I had too many mental images of Doug with his grandparents - eating marvelous dinners, watching his grandmother in the kitchen, hearing his Great-grandmother up on the roof, etc.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're right. Most occur at their big boarding house. Nice images you've mentioned ~ I can taste the pies, see the flour and spices flying, and hear the tap-tap-tapping...Magic!

Posts: 2804 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post