Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Farwell Summer: Bradbury vs Bradbury
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Farwell Summer: Bradbury vs Bradbury
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Currently, I like "spatula", say it three times.

Still intrigued with "murmurs" as well.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug and Phil, you are both breaking me up!!!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was young, my mom accused me of being a lollygagger. My wife now accuses me of it. It must be true. How's that for a word????

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Woody Allen likes the word "ointment".

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Say, who started this nonsense?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
Say, who started this nonsense?

That would be me - a revolutionary if there ever was one!

'Ointment's' good.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thingamajig. Not sure if that’s a wiget or a waget. Perhaps it can be found in whosywhatsydinger's dictionary.

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Mom liked using "ioda" quite frequently.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Botster, you mean "iota"? As in, "I don't care one iota what your friends do with their rooms - you're cleaning yours!"
Or do you mean "iodine", which is what my mom used a lot!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are correct on the former.

posted Hide Post
The major event of the seventeenth has come at last. Now it is possible for “Dandelion Wine” to be referred to as the beloved prelude to “Farewell Summer". Thanks, Mr. Bradbury. And may God bless!

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The long-awaited book isn't going to be available in my local book store until (guess when!)
October 31st!

posted Hide Post
I picked mine up at a Barnes and Noble. I asked for it on the 16th, and since it wasn't a blockbuster or on hold for sale, the clerk went into the back and got my one and then put the others out. So I got mine a day early. So far, it is well worth the reading, with many of bradbury's literary touches, strong use of metaphor, keen and succinct observations of the details of humanity, and a fast-paced story. Nice work, so far.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speaking of "Bradbury vs. Bradbury," can I make a pest of myself here by suggesting that with "From the Dust Returned" and "Farewell Summer," Ray might want to reconsider such statements as that a writer has to write right away, or the idea turns to sludge, and that when he learned that Katherine Anne Porter spent ten years on "Ship of Fools," he knew it was doomed to sink?

This has discouraged me from writing many a time. Geez, I didn't finish my novel in nine days like "Fahrenheit 451," might as well not bother now, it's probably turned to sludge. More than ten years? Forget it. Yet if these ideas are NOT good, why do they still keep recurring to me after ten years have not only passed, but several times over?

Now, don't anyone dare to ask Ray about these quotes: he'll claim they weren't at all what he meant and make a completely contradictory statement to explain what he DID mean. What I mean to say is, perhaps it's time for me to reconsider my interpretation of things he's said over the years regarding how quickly writing should take place.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whatever you do, write it down. At least get it down on paper. You can decide if it’s worth it later…but write it down!