Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Let's All Kill Constance
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let's All Kill Constance
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Good point. Humbling.

Posts: 4 | Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 26 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, I do have comments to make regarding the change in style of "Let's All Kill Constance" from earlier works, but just haven't taken the time to make the post. I may catch up next rainy day.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a distinct change of style, yes. It would be interesting to find out Ray's views on this. I've been assuming that "Constance" was written when Ray had to switch from typing to dictating (I think I read about this on this message board). I personally find "Constance" too dominated by dialogue - not enough of Ray's classic active- descriptive technique for my liking.

- Phil

Posts: 406 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray, in fact, did dictate the first draft of LET'S ALL KILL CONSTANCE from his hospital bed as he recovered from his stroke, which makes the book an all the more remarkable achievement. That he could accomplish such a task while recovering from such a serious illness is truly a tribute to his indomitable creative spirit. Amazing!

Posts: 369 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the record, you've each said part of what I was going to say. I still plan to post a quote basically backing you up.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What I liked about "Constance" is that how you are simply thrown into the story. No apologies or back-stories explaining that there were other books before this one. A lot of sequel books do that. I dread the first few pages of every Harry Potter book (although I love the series) where Rowling feels it is necessary to explain who Harry is, as if we've no idea that there were previous books.

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Anne of the Island," third in L. M. Montgomery's Anne series, is like that. I'm reading it years after the second and the author expects you to remember who every character is and their relationships to each other. What's more, the characters were so well and vividly drawn when first introduced, and so well-portrayed when reintroduced, you actually DO remember them!

posted Hide Post
Yes, there is a difference in style in "Constance" and "Graveyard". Just as there is a difference in "Death is a lonely business" the first book in that trilogy, from "Graveyard". Considering it's Ray Bradbury this is not surprising. He switches style nearly every time out, something which has surely helped him enjoy such a long career. "Farenheit" is worlds away from "Something" which is worlds away from "Halloween Tree" etc. I believe the only style remaining consistent with the man is his warmth, poetic flair, and sheer skill.

Posts: 12 | Location: Carlyle, IL USA | Registered: 02 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post