Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    "The Drummer Boy of Shiloh"

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"The Drummer Boy of Shiloh"
 Login/Join

posted
In what story collection can "The Drummer Boy of Shiloh" be found? Can I find the text of the story on-line?

Posts: 1 | Location: South Wayne, WI USA | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The Machineries of Joy"--yes, I always think of him in April!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When substituting in Minnesota I had the good fortune to be able to cover the story, The Drummer Boy of Shiloh, as I had mentioned to the Eighth Grade English instructor that I had know Ray over the many years and so when it came for me to substitute for her again, she let me do it.

I was wondering what might be able to do to make the story a little more interesting, especially seeing what a departure it was from Ray's usual writing.

So I called him on a Friday evening and Marguerite answered stating that he was not at home and that I should call back the next at 10 their time.

This I did with my speaker phone and tape recorder at the ready. The recorded interview as to what inspired him to write the story proved to be the thing that really rounded out the lesson. I played it to each class and they seemed to really enjoy it.

Posts: 39 | Location: Plantation, FL USA | Registered: 19 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post