Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Short film!
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Short film!
 Login/Join

posted
Groon here, back again after a long hiatus. I've recently finished a short film that I'm taking to various festivals. It's youtube quality (crappy) but I think you'll get the idea. It's set in the future, and, well, I won't say any more about it. Just check it out. Hope you enjoy!!

http://www.youtube.com/v/5zuQzSYTj9I

I was thinking about sending a copy ro Ray. Anybody know if he has a DVD player?

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
groon!! WELCOMEBACK!

Ah, at what temperature do classical music recorded tapes burn?

Shades of a Fahrenheit chase!

And the question about Bradbury having a DVD player was just asked to him a few weeks ago. The answer is Yes, he has one!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Groon. Really interesting piece. RB would be pleased in viewing it, I would think. We are starting Part III of F451 today (gr. 12) ("Burning Bright"). I will show this to the class this a.m. I'll follow later with a few comments from the students themselves -- Ah, the critics!!

thanks,
f

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed that! The little flying robot camera thingie was cute and creepy at the same time. Reminds me of one of my relatives.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Groon,for some reason I could not get sound. But I am thinking that it is a silent film, am I correct. I, too, liked the robot camera. Say, my cell is low on battery right now. Call me later and maybe leave a phone number where I could reach you.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the wonderful replies!! fjp, is that fjpalumbo? You really showing it to your students!? How awesome, I'm honored!! Biplane, it is silent, but I would highly reccomend waiting to see it with the music, as it's pretty important to how the film is viewed. But I don't think I've ever had your phone number. Maybe I didn't get the joke. Sorry, I just woke up from a nap. Good to hear from you all again, and I suppose I ought to send a copy to Ray then. Hmm, now to find that pesky column of how to contact Ray. Anybody remember how to find that one?

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Groon...
Change the opening title to this:

"Sometime in the near future."

Reason...there are too many present-day vehicles in the film. Other than this, I thought it was very good. Cool

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Robert M Blevins,

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Groon,

What did u use to film this? A Bolex 16mm I would say at first, but then the crispness of the picture says video, perhaps digital. I've made a few shorts myself (went to film school for 2 years as part of my artistic training) and I'm curious. It's definitely an enjoyable little flick. Would you mind if I post about it on my site? I run a site promoting my own writing and art and even publish my own speculative fiction e-zine (check the link below to see the site) and some of my fans/friends might be interested in watching this. Always happy to help others out and bring new things to fans/friends.

Feel free to PM me or email me at LordShen@juno.com... or just reply here, I'm sure I'll be checking back soon for other comments.

As for the "Sometime in the near future..." comment from Robert M Blevins, it's a good catch. But IMHO, words and dialogue are highly overrated in films. If you could/would really re-edit to address this issue, my suggestion would be to leave it out completely. Do we need to know it's time and place? How important is that in a short film? There's enough visual stuff in the short to identify the time and place as being similar to our own, yet quite alien enough to be futuristic or even historical... the music, the way the authorities are dressed, etc. all speaks 'old timey' 9for lack of a better term. Which could open up yet another definitive discussion about tradition and established ideals vs. progress and even regression if you leave out any definitve indication to time or place. But that's me and my Theory As Practice speaking. Either way you go with it, I like it.

Free sci-fi mag online at:thelordshen.com

Posts: 178 | Location: Currently Flint, MI | Registered: 28 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good film - well done and articulate. Keep up the film production, you're a talented individual with a lot of potential.

Captain Wilder, Fourth Expedition

Posts: 21 | Registered: 28 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Groon, I was quite serious about giving me a call. You can reach me at (954) 579-0003. I am up late Florida time to about 12:00 midnight.

I have a question for you.

Again, I really enjoyed your film and would enjoy the sound track when it might be available.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
groon,
Just saw the film. Pow! You nailed it. My standard for a good film is, “Do I want to see it again?” I’ve viewed it three times and enjoyed it more each time. I remember when there was a cartoon or a short advertised with films. Sometimes people would go to a bad film just to see the short. I would go to a bad film in order to see any of your work. Hey, I guess that Max Sennett lighting still works, a good story still entertains and classical music still rocks. —Best

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biplane, I tried calling a couple times, but couldn't get through. If you'd like to email me, my address is christofmunoz@gmail.com. Otherwise, I'll try calling again. As far as the soundtrack, it's just Sonata 14 in C# minor (moonlight sonata) by Beethoven and I used the 2nd movement for the credits and the 3rd for the main part of the movie. I copied down the notes from a Beethoven music book into a midi program, and my friend George (who also played the police captain) helped me fix the tempo changes and dynamics to make it sound more human, and then we recorded it using a program he has called Giga-Studio, which uses samples of real instruments. I only did the parts you hear though, so I didn't bother recording the first movement or most of the second, just the coda. The repeats were left out of the 3rd movement in order to fit the story better, so I didn't record the full sonata, but if you want a copy, I could send you a CD of it, but it will be incomplete. It shouldn't be too hard to find a good recording of the complete sonata. I'm partial to pianist Walter Klein's rendition, so I'd reccomend that one.

posted Hide Post
Glenn Gould!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's a link to a video clip of Ray Bradbury at a book signing, March, 2006. Sorry that the sound is a little out-of-synch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjfkVSMUfng

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
VERY COOL! Ray would probably really appreciate it. I agree about the cars. I even have a friend who picks on the bicycles in "Fahrenheit 451." Cars I can see, but bicycles! But if you can make the bikes look futuristic, all the better. The news camera effect was amazing. Very artistic film.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post