Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Short film!
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Short film!
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Doug, I am so glad that you got to view the film and the special effect short. And to think that Groon has been invited to the Bend, Oregon Film Festival. We wish him the best.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wait, that message from Doug Spalding? Was that really Ray?

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by groon:
Wait, that message from Doug Spalding? Was that really Ray?

No - I am not he, nor is he me, but we are we.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never mind, don't know what I was thinking.

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by groon:
Never mind, don't know what I was thinking.

I am flattered if you were suggesting that I write like RB! I cannot, you know - I only wish I could think like him!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dunno, just thought it might be him incognito or something.

posted Hide Post
Well, I finally heard from Patrick this past weekend, and Ray saw "The Dealer" at last. He said it was "interesting". Patrick said that he thought Ray might have been a little confused at how the ending connects to the beginning, I really hope Ray gives it a second watch, though it's still cool to be able to say that Ray said my movie was interesting.
Also last week, I went with the film to the BendFilm festival in Bend OR. Didn't win any awards, but I did get a free airfare to Oregon, and even though it's not the most famous festival around, it is noted by IMDB, and so I've applied for The Dealer to get its own IMDB profile, just have to wait a few weeks to see if it's accepted.

posted Hide Post
Groon, I am so happy that things worked out for you, i.e., Patrick getting back to you in regard to Ray being able to watch it and, of course, your trip to the Bend, Oregon Film Festival. I hope that they put you up in a decent hotel as well and perhaps fed you once or twice..

Also I think it best if Ray were to see it again. I have watched it several times and still marvel at how you put it together eventhough you included the special effects clip.

By the way, has anyone noticed that I like to use i.e. quite a bit? Does anyone remember what it means? A clue, it is from Latin.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course.
"i.e." = "id est" = "that is", not to be confused (though it often is) with "e.g." = "exempli gratia" = "for example".

How about "q.v." or "q.e.d." ? Don't see them as often as one used to.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey buddy, don't try to confuse me now!!!! Seriously, those are two that I am not familiar with. I'am game. What do they mean?

By the way, I am impressed with your knowledge of Latin, you must have taken it many moons ago.

Years ago I worked for a fellow who was in 70s and he could recite poem after poem in Latin. Different!

posted Hide Post
Q. V. - Quod vide (which see).

Q. E. D. - Quod erat demonstrandum (which was to be demonstrated).

Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
If anyone is interested, I can still recite nearly ALL my Latin prayers learned when I was in school. That includes the 'Confeteor'. Many dropped out at the point of learning that lengthy prayer, which goes along the lines of "....I confess to Almighty God, the Blessed Virgin Mary, with Michael the Archangel and the apostles Peter and Paul..." Something like that. Yep, that ol' Catholic upbringing at least brings to fond memories the sound of the Latin language. [Now if only their theology (back then in Chicago) was not so obscure to us pre-teens.]

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Q. V. - Quod vide (which see).

Q. E. D. - Quod erat demonstrandum (which was to be demonstrated).

Or, in layman's terms, q.v. = look it up; q.e.d = proved it!

By the way, Doug, you should use lower-case letters for latin! I learned some latin at school, but all I remember is 'canis est in horto'. If I ever meet the Pope, I hope there is a dog in a garden nearby so that I can communicate effectively with his holiness.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Boy! We do digress! I just noticed the title of this thread is "short film", and here we are Latin-ing away... Well, Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Doug's comment reminded me of this exchange:

William Faulkner (about Ernest Hemingway)
"He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary."

Ernest Hemingway (about William Faulkner)
"Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come from big words?"

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...Doug, you should use lower-case letters for latin!

Oh well - what do I know about Latin? I'm an Episcopagan!

"Live Forever!"