Ray Bradbury Forums
Bradbury, Corwin, Bill Nolan, etc. at "The Bleeding Edge" signing event

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791083901/m/263102813

21 February 2010, 07:37 AM
Stefan
Bradbury, Corwin, Bill Nolan, etc. at "The Bleeding Edge" signing event
Ray Bradbury and a panel of authors at the Mystery and Imagination bookstore in Glendale California on 2/21/10. Signing event for "The Bleeding Edge" included Norman Corwin, Bill Nolan, George Clayton Johnson, and more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt1SJT3xiMA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D13JFZqPB-g
21 February 2010, 07:43 AM
jkt
Stefan: I knew I should have yanked that camera out of your hands. :-}

I'll post a few stills later today.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley
21 February 2010, 07:48 AM
Stefan
But John, I did get your best side.
21 February 2010, 08:01 AM
jkt
quote:
Originally posted by Stefan:
But John, I did get your best side.

The problem is that there is NO best side.

Group Photo

John King Tarpinian
21 February 2010, 08:03 AM
jkt
Another Group Photo

John King Tarpinian
21 February 2010, 08:26 AM
Linnl
Gentlemen, Thank You for sharing these clips and pictures!
21 February 2010, 10:06 AM
philnic
Hear hear! ALMOST as good as being there!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
21 February 2010, 12:56 PM
gguthrie
Thanks for the videos and pics. I'm jealous of you California people. lol
21 February 2010, 03:11 PM
jkt
Somebody came into the bookshop today to say that they heard mention of the signing this morning. They just do not remember which of the many NPR stations they heard it on nor which program. I searched KPCC and KCRW to no avail.

John King Tarpinian
21 February 2010, 07:03 PM
biplane1
JKT, I am afraid that I that did not hear of it down here in Sunrise, Florida, but sure appreciate the photo and videos. And, you always look good John.
22 February 2010, 12:17 PM
darkdiscoveries
Great videos and pictures Stefan and John! Nice to meet both of you in person there.

It was an amazing event! Overwhelming to say the least. I was very happy to finally meet a number of my heroes in person including of course Ray.

- James
www.darkdiscoveries.com
25 February 2010, 05:32 PM
jkt
Here is the review of the event from Famous Monsters:

http://www.famousmonstersoffil...n-the-bleeding-edge/

John King Tarpinian
16 August 2021, 10:55 PM
Richard
February 21, 2010: the mass signing of the anthology, THE BLEEDING EDGE, at the late and lamented Mystery and Imagination Bookshop in Glendale, California. There was an incredible gathering of wonderful writers all under one roof: Ray Bradbury, Norman Corwin, William F. Nolan, George Clayton Johnson, John Shirley, James Robert Smith, Cody Goodfellow, Lisa Morton, Earl Hamner, John Tomerlin, and Jason Brock. Writers Dennis Etchison, John Skipp and Peter Atkins were there as well. I had no intention of missing this, and flew into LA for the event and to see one of Ray's theatrical productions that same evening. What an amazing day that was! To see a video of the signing, just click on the link below. And scroll up to the top of this thread for additional videos and photos of that day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YWZcVyYPEY
20 August 2021, 09:45 AM
Richard
As I think about the February, 2010 mass signing of THE BLEEDING EDGE, more memories come to mind. In addition to Ray Bradbury being there, it was my first (and it turned out, only) opportunity to meet the legendary Norman Corwin, the father of modern radio, who at the time of the signing was only a few months short of his 100th birthday. I had the chance, thank heaven, to tell Mr. Corwin how much I admired his work; how his 1945 radio broadcast ON A NOTE OF TRIUMPH (a celebration of the end of the war in Europe, which I had on an LP) had made me a fan for life and led me to his other work; and what an honor it was to meet him. Ray was sitting next to Mr. Corwin at the time, and out of the corner of my eye, I could see Ray look at me, smile, and nod his head. I will never forget Mr. Corwin's big smile after my comments, who then gave me one of the firmest handshakes I have ever received. I later reached John Tomerlin, and had him sign my copy of the 1959 Boardman hardcover edition of RUN FROM THE HUNTER, a book he had co-authored in 1957 with Charles Beaumont under the pseudonym "Keith Grantland". Mr. Tomerlin looked at the book, smiled sadly, and said, "I wish Chuck [Beaumont] was still here to sign it too." Again, great memories!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Richard,
30 August 2023, 11:02 AM
Richard
John Tomerlin was a member of The Group, that group of Southern California writers and friends in the 1950's and 1960's that also included such luminaries as Ray Bradbury, Charles Beaumont, Richard Matheson, William F. Nolan, Chad Oliver and George Clayton Johnson. Mr. Tomerlin wrote extensively during his career, including scripts for the TWILIGHT ZONE and THRILLER, and he co-authored the novel RUN FROM THE HUNTER with Charles Beaumont. He passed away in 2014, and deserves to be remembered more that he is today. The link below will take you to a 2003 interview of Mr. Tomerlin by Christopher Conlon, in which he discusses a variety of topics, including his association with The Group. On a personal note, as mentioned in the posting immediately above, I had the opportunity to meet Mr. Tomerlin at the 2010 BLEEDING EDGE signing event held at the Mystery and Imagination Bookshop in Glendale, California. He was a very nice gentleman.

https://chrisconlon.livejournal.com/28617.html