Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Anthology with both "Veldt" and Aiken's "Silent Snow, Secret Snow"?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anthology with both "Veldt" and Aiken's "Silent Snow, Secret Snow"?
 Login/Join

posted
Hi, all,

A friend has me on a mission to locate a fantasy anthology that contains both Bradbury's "Veldt" and Conrad Aiken's "Silent Snow, Secret Snow." Google hasn't revealed any clues as of yet.

Can anyone help?

Posts: 1 | Registered: 19 March 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only anthology I can find that has Aiken's "Silent Snow, Secret Snow" plus a Ray Bradbury story, is Deadly Nightshade, edited by Peter Haining. But the Bradbury story is "The October Game", not "The Veldt". That's the closest I could get!

Posts: 700 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love that Aiken story. They did it on "Night Gallery" years ago.

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here you go, fanboy!!
http://www.fancast.com/tv/Nigh...,-Secret-Snow/videos

(It is the second episode, about 34:15 into the video.)

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
oh, thanks fjp451!I haven't seem that for years although I've read the story a few times.

“Listen!” it said. “We’ll tell you the last, the most beautiful and secret story-shut your eyes-it is a very small story-a story that gets smaller and smaller-it comes inward instead of opening like a flower-it is a flower becoming a seed-a little cold seed-do you hear” We are leaning closer to you”-

The hiss was now becoming a roar-the whole world was a vast moving screen of snow-but even now it said peace, it said remoteness, it said cold, it said sleep."

- Silent Snow, Secret Snow, by Conrad Aiken.

Beautiful.

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post