Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    1939 New York Worlds Fair
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1939 New York Worlds Fair
 Login/Join

posted
Was it the 1939 New York Worlds Fair that Ray visited? If so, here is an interesting link to some rare color footage of it. If that is the one then maybe we could see a youthful Bradbury walk by with a special book in his hands. Either way its interesting and its a wonderful website too.

http://www.archive.org/details/NewYorkW1939

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great! Thanks for that!
Did you notice the crowd?
More hats, less fat than today.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes, definitely more hats & substantially less bulk, lol.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
...less fat than today.

No high-fructose corn syrup back then.

Hats.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greg, Rocket, when I overnighted in Louisville the other evening, and if I am correct, you live there, and I thought of you, but did not have your phone number.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems to me that Ray was at both the Chicago 1933 and the New York 1939 World's fairs. He was definitely at the 1939 and saw the television set which he described as "primitive."

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just wanted to link to the other existing thread on World's Fairs, in case anyone missed it:

https://raybradburyboard.com/ev...91083901/m/723106321

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While some may have seen this great photo before, here is a picture of Ray on July 4, 1939 while he was attending the first World Science Fiction Convention in New York. It was taken during a visit to Coney Island. Ray is the very tan gentleman on the far right in the back row. Others in the picture include fan (and later book dealer) Robert Madle, fan (and later Shasta Press owner) Erle Korshak, and fan (and later writer) Ross Rocklynne.

http://www.fanac.org/worldcon/NYcon/w39-050.html

Posts: 2455 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard:
While some may have seen this great photo before, here is a picture of Ray on July 4, 1939 while he was attending the first World Science Fiction Convention in New York. It was taken during a visit to Coney Island. Ray is the very tan gentleman on the far right in the back row. Others in the picture include fan (and later book dealer) Robert Madle, fan (and later Shasta Press owner) Erle Korshak, and fan (and later writer) Ross Rocklynne.

http://www.fanac.org/worldcon/NYcon/w39-050.html

The reason for the tan other than Ray being from sunny California is that he made a living outside selling newspapers on a street corner. You could propably add that he walked/biked everywhere also.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To Mr. Spaulding, I realize this post is way out of context but I found an old posting on here about the Icarus Montgolfier Wright short story posted a few years back. I have written an email to your gmail account. Can you please review the email and possibly write me back when you get the chance. Your help with this matter would be more than appreciated.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greater skater:
To Mr. Spaulding, I realize this post is way out of context but I found an old posting on here about the Icarus Montgolfier Wright short story posted a few years back. I have written an email to your gmail account. Can you please review the email and possibly write me back when you get the chance. Your help with this matter would be more than appreciated.

It just so happens that Icarus is planned to be shown at Ray's 89th Birthday Party!!!

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you guys have got to see this one. it blew my mind, read all of the accompanying comments and the info provided. it is liturally looking back 104 years. it is the first structured movie in that the person operating the camera handcranked it from a moving streetcar travelling ten miles an hour. there is some annoying frameroll but it is negligent to me. Enjoy!

http://www.archive.org/details/TripDown1905

posted Hide Post
[quote]nned to be shown at Ray's 89th Birthday Party!!!

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury[/quo

Thank you JKT for the post, that would be a 500 mile road trip well spent, but I don't think I can pull away from work to do it... Maybe I'll tell the boss I got swine flu. Wink
But I'm actually trying to obtain a copy of the animation for a young man who's birthday is at the end of this month and so far It's looking grim. I even wrote George Clayton Johnson on his my space, still waiting for a reply.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greater skater:
I even wrote George Clayton Johnson on his my space, still waiting for a reply.

George!

George once told me that he doesn't even have email ("I'm not rigged up for email"). I think someone operates this MySpace for him.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rocket:
you guys have got to see this one. it blew my mind, read all of the accompanying comments and the info provided. it is liturally looking back 104 years. it is the first structured movie in that the person operating the camera handcranked it from a moving streetcar travelling ten miles an hour. there is some annoying frameroll but it is negligent to me. Enjoy!

http://www.archive.org/details/TripDown1905

That annoying framework are sprockets in the film that have 'fallen apart' with the years and wear. THANKS! This is an amazing film that can be looked at over and over. You think...all these people have already lived their lives. It's all now finished. None could ever imagine that 100+ years later the world could look in on these moments. Amazing. No stop lights yet. No speed limits. Many going every which-way. More cars than I imagined would be around at that year. Thanks, rocket.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post