Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Cover art

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cover art
 Login/Join

posted
Having just received my copy of the Dark Carnival re-issue, with the wonderful painting by Ray on the cover, I was looking at the many cover designs of RB books that I have. These range from the plate aluminum (ie. symbolically fireproof) cover for a special edition of 'F.451', to a hideous little child-alien on the cover of the 'Small Assassin' paperback. The 'Driving Blind' cover is great, and another favourite is a paperback of 'The October Country', featuring a weary man cutting some rather human-looking wheat ("The Scythe"). I also have a couple of different 'Dandelion Wine' paperbacks with wonderful dreamy, summery cover illustrations. And, of course, there is the fantastic Charles Addams illustration on the jacket of 'From the Dust Returned'.
Does anyone else have favourite RB cover designs? Or examples of cover artists getting it horribly wrong?

[This message has been edited by crumley (edited 03-05-2002).]

Posts: 79 | Location: Tomerong, NSW, Australia | Registered: 16 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The worst "Dandelion Wine" has got to be that skull-and-crossbones bottle making the whole thing look poisonous, when really the story contains just a few traumatic episodes. My favorite "October Country" is the combination landscape woman. I felt terrible after I gave away my copy and great when I found one in better shape at a used bookstore.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And here is the second worst! I have read this book four times, and remember absolutely nothing about some dude knocking out a fence rail while hanging himself from a tree, nor any hanging whatsoever. Did I miss an episode somewhere?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That Dandelion Wine cover is great ... for another book.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by douglasSP:
That Dandelion Wine cover is great ... for another book.

Yeah, like Murder on the Golf Course on the Fourth of July.

posted Hide Post
Maybe he's really just floating (hovering) in the air, magic-like.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post