Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    I don't understand the book. Help!!!

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I don't understand the book. Help!!!
 Login/Join

posted
Hi. I read this book and I don't understand anything I read. If someone could please e-mail me at tweetybaby90210@yahoo.com and explain to me what the book is about so that I could maybe try to remember or understand something. Thanks a lot.

Posts: 3 | Location: North Prov., R.I., U.S. | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd love to help (if I can).

I suppose the most practical starting point is this: does The Book have a title?

Posts: 27 | Location: Springfield, Missouri, USA | Registered: 12 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The book is called Fahrenheit 451.

Posts: 3 | Location: North Prov., R.I., U.S. | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty broad question.

I'd recommend you begin by going to the local Barnes and Noble and get a Cliff's Notes on it. There is one called, "Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451". It will cover plot, characters, some biography on Bradbury, some exegetical work and major themes.

As a start, some major themes would include:

-- Censorship and the suppression of ideas.

-- The power and value of ideas.

-- The meaning of a life richly lived.

-- The value and meaning of a free society. While there are some risks to a free society, the threat of a society that supresses freedom is the very possibility of being truly human.

-- The power of confliting ideas in developing a concept of truth, and the risk to the uneducated of falling prey to propaganda.

-- The power of interpersonal relationships.

-- The deadening power of technology when it suppresses or replaces true human interaction or experience.

You can also go on the web, enter "Farenheit 451" and have access to many interpretive essays on the book. Also, most recent editions of Farenheit 451 have an author's afterward where Bradbury himself addresses some of the issues of the book.

If you can cite specific things you don't understand, or specific questions you have, there are many who interact on this page who could assist.

Dig in and have fun!

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot for the advice I will check that out.

posted Hide Post
jkt & philnic sez: check it out. Good ole Braddie B!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post