Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    New Devices

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Devices
 Login/Join

posted
How many of us use Kindles, Nooks, or Iphones?

Posts: 4 | Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: 05 April 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rohn Federbush:
How many of us use Kindles, Nooks, or Iphones?

iPhone here, but never to read a book with!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a Kindle, but not exclusively. I also read real books, and read books on a PC, and listen to audiobooks.

Currently reading a print version of Moby Dick, sometimes reading along to an audiobook version. And daily dipping into a Kindle version which has a study guide built in.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She-who-must-be-obeyed had a Kindle and just ordered the mini-iPad thingy. I have too much respect for Ray to read a book on one of these devices. Confused

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Kindle (or some of the Kindle models, at least) is an attempt to get the best of the page-based experience of a book with the carrying capacity of a computer. I have a few hundred books on my Kindle (most of them public domain; didn't cost me a penny). They have a delightful benefit for folks who, like me, have terrible eyesight: you can change the text size for convenient, comfortable reading.

The mini-iPad thingy (and the Kindle Fire) are attempts to be sexy devices that do a lot of things, especially downloading paid apps and paid media content. They ignore the benefits of page based reading, and don't even have the benefits of a proper computer, as they don't have any convenient ways of expanding the storage capacity or of saving data other than by using the cloud. If any item of modern technology is the spawn of satan, this is it!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post