Ray Bradbury Forums
destruction for the sake of creation

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791083901/m/2211060011

30 September 2004, 10:58 AM
Korby
destruction for the sake of creation
I have no idea what happened to the "u".....maybe we Americans just want as many shortcuts as possible? I suppose you could also ask why we put the "e" in words such as theater before the "r" instead of after it.....
30 September 2004, 12:21 PM
Menes
Who knows... maybe these phenomena were (or will be?) caused by another unprecautious incident of time-travelling? - Causing only slight changes, barely noticeable...
30 September 2004, 03:32 PM
fjpalumbo
Yeh? Rite. Whut ar thu chanzes uv that happining?
30 September 2004, 04:43 PM
philnic
I heard once that good old Ben Franklyn tried to rationalise the American language, to get rid of all those superfluous letters that we Brits cling to. I don't know if it's true, though. (Or should that be tho' ?)

Phil (the resident Brit)
www.bradburymedia.co.uk
30 September 2004, 08:12 PM
pterran
I think it's because we Americans look for more effecient ways to do things. A 'u' in colour? Who needs it? 'E' at the end of "theatre?" Let's move it up a notch.

See how much quicker things get done?

Best,

Pete
30 September 2004, 08:50 PM
Braling II
I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg.
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid.
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Amzanig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorant.
01 October 2004, 07:16 AM
Menes
Wow, It wkors! Tihs is gerat fun!
Gtoto psas tihs on to smoe firedns.

Crehes, Mnees

P.S. But it ddni'd wrok wehn I had to gvie my psaswrod...
01 October 2004, 04:51 PM
dandelion
LOL! We've long since established the computer *isn't* a human mind! (After all, what human could possibly have deleted those 300-some posts from "Ruled Paper" with all those great pictures of Robert Fuller? No human could resist!)