Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Found 1888 Obituary of Ray's Great Uncle DeWitt Bradbury

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Found 1888 Obituary of Ray's Great Uncle DeWitt Bradbury
 Login/Join

posted
A Leaf on the Halloween Tree
What better way to spend a rainy Sunday morning than going though a box of old photos, letters, and newspaper clippings that a friend found at a garage sale? The box had a few photos he wanted to keep, then he was going to toss the rest. But, being a good friend and knowing that I like all things old, he asked me if I wanted the box. A box that - I now know - contained a treasure!
You can imagine how my interest was piqued when I noticed an 1888 obituary for a Bradbury from Waukegan, IL! A lot of folks from Waukegan are mentioned in these papers. Once I noticed the Bradbury/Waukegan connection, how could I avoid the notion that this Bradbury was related to Ray? More research was required.
With help from my husband, WikiTree, and Bradbury scholar Phil Nichols' Bradbury family tree, we found what we think is the obituary for Ray's great uncle – DeWitt H. Bradbury!
The dates of his birth and death vary from what Phil has listed but I know, as a student of archeology and history, that historical dates often change with each new source material found. The obituary mentions that DeWitt's father was S.I. Bradbury. (Ray's great grandfather was Samuel Irving Bradbury). The obit also mentions that DeWitt's brother was S.H. Bradbury. (Ray's grandfather was Samuel Hinkston Bradbury, Sr.)
I can't help but believe that the DeWitt in this found obituary is Ray's great uncle.
Phil Nichols agrees with my assumption.
I am attaching a scan of the obituary.
What are the odds that this box of papers would have ended up in my hands?
Another little coincidence - DeWitt Bradbury died in Las Vegas, NM, where he was visiting from Waukegan for his health. Las Vegas New Mexico is about an hour and a half north of where I live.
I feel like Ray has sent me a little October gift. Thanks, Ray!!!
-Patricia Rogers
Click on the attached photo to see the whole Obituary.
PS. Thank you Richard for all the wonderful posts!

ImageDeWitt_Bradbury_Obituary_smaller.jpg (206 Kb, 3 downloads) DeWitt Bradbury 1888

Posts: 86 | Location: Bernalillo, NM USA | Registered: 16 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pat, now that's expert detective work! What an incredible find! Thanks for sharing it! (And thanks for the kind words!)

Posts: 2468 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post