Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Hey !! What is this "Fahrenheit 911 " nonsense ?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hey !! What is this "Fahrenheit 911 " nonsense ?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark,

Have I been misconstrued? Because I don't quite get your "denial is a wonderful thing" line.

What I meant was I prefer to think Robbins and Sarandon are flashing the V for Victory sign without realizing it.

A weak attempt at irony but an attempt nonetheless.

Pete

Posts: 547 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oops. Gotcha. You WERE misconstrued by a guy who's just too impatient with some of this. I must need to increase my "Paxil" dosages! (I missed the "without realizing it" implication.)

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you were an avid reader of Bradbury you would know that you just advocated a type of censorship. You advocated for a person to change what they wrote just because you don't agree with it. If you read Fahrenheit 451 then you should have picked up that he is against censorship, because that was an underlying theme in the book.

Posts: 1 | Location: Meridian, ID, USA | Registered: 18 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear Mr./Ms. Spockrules101,

Really? Mr. Bradbury is opposed to censorship? Imagine that.

Seriously, I don't quite know what you're getting at. Advocating a "type of censorship?" I don't think any of these posts were suggesting anything of the sort. Perhaps you'd like to clarify your point so that we can debate this better.

Pete

Posts: 547 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think anyone here is suggesting that Moore et al don't have a right to express their own political views. But BRADBURY HIMSELF objects to Michael Moore hijacking his title.

Posts: 229 | Location: Van Nuys, CA USA | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spockrules101:

Good grief!

The author, Mr. Bradbury Himself...is upset and tried to get the title dropped.

Now think about that!

The author looks at this as someone shouldering their way into the dinner table. Unwelcomed.

What if we created someone named 'Splock' with square tipped ears?
(Let's see how loyal a Trekkie you are....)

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 04-18-2003).]

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am vaguely familiar with the idea of censorship as a theme in F451.

I also understand that there are different types of censorship. On the other hand, strictly speaking, censorship generally deals with that restriction of the communication of ideas executed or enjoined by the government. Additionally, in the case of copyrights and trademark restrictions, the government retains the right to control some communications in a way that I think Bradbury's ideas of censorship would not condemn.

Along with some other posts, I'm not sure what type of censorship you thought I was exercising or endorsing and what the example of that might have been from my post.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am SURE that rascal Michael Moore gets lots and lots and lots of emails. But what the heck. What's a few Moore. I mean more.

Okay, let 'em have it...

email for Michael Moore:

Mike@Michaelmoore.com

(Whatdoyouthink:: He's probably a nice guy once you get to know him...!!)

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe he's a nice guy, but he is a muckraker/curmudgeon -- so being a nice guy is not in the job description.

Also, I read some interviews with some of the people he invited up on the Academy Awards stand with him. Although some supported his stance, several were not told he was going to make a political statement and that he was just sharing credit. When they were up there and watched him, they said he had "used" them to give credence to his outburst. Several were angry about it, and said it was just dishonest.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Dark (edited 04-24-2003).]

posted Hide Post
Arg. (also known as "yargh" "yarg" and "argh") Moore bothers me. As one sage person posted earlier (paraphrase) anyone suggesting, or advocating supremely simplistic solutions to such problems are not to be trusted (though thats not to say "dont consider them"). Too many words. factoid time: Moore must feel some kind of power... ive suddenly decided it doesnt matter. it bothered me yes. none of this matters. its all just a miniscule vortex, a ripple in ongoing effervescent life. and its slowly spinning itself into nothing. and finally its gone.

Posts: 13 | Location: mmm | Registered: 18 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Given that nihilistic world view, I hope we can at least find meaning in the spinning.

posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark::: Obviously a visit to:
http://www.spinning.com

is necessary.....

posted Hide Post
Very good. I could use the workout anyway. Very clever. I never would have thought of a "spinning" site.

posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do about the title. You can't copyright a title. I just don't like that as a Bradbury fan who doesn't agree with Moore's politics, I'm gonna have to put up with stupid people associating one of my favorite books with some leftwing propagandist... oops, I mean "documentary filmmaker"

Posts: 411 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree. His arrogance really shows through when he ignores a direct request by the author -- especially an author with Bradbury's stature. It's really shameless -- whatever his politics!