Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Did anybody make wine from dandelions?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did anybody make wine from dandelions?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Nard:

See my post of 4-08 above all this for the "source" of my Dandelion Wine.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We made dandelion wine last night with Douglas, Tom, and Grandfather Spaulding.

First 3 chapters: My two sons (now 5,7) awoke in the cupola and saw Green Town opening its eyes. They went tumbling all stained purple, fistcuffing down the hillside. Bees a buzzing! Then we carefully gathered those brilliant yellow blossoms from Grandfather's lawn. When the dandelions were pressed, with the freshest rainwater added, we had done a fine job.

(As we are reading, I take time to paraphrase some of the more intricate metaphoric passages and to explain vocabulary in basic terms. The boys are getting the images and we stop to talk about what is happening. They have already started to indentify with the younger-older brother exchanges. Surprising parallels in characters keep revealing themselves. One quite thoughtful and introspective while the other is full-speed ahead and on to the next thing. It should make for an enjoyable read and some great lessons about family, friends, good and bad, and all the wonders of summer vacation when you are a kid!)

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 06-25-2003).]

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjpalumbo,

Great story. Glad to see I'm not the only one around here concocting Dandelion Wine this summer. Although my sips are pure imagination, compliments of my twelve year old.

Shouldn't someone link this to the Book of the Month reminder for Dandelion Wine? I'd do it if I knew how. There are some great stories in that thread. Seems we lost a little steam with everyone running around meeting Ray this summer.

Posts: 118 | Location: Gulfport. MS | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Celestial:

If 'everyone' was truly running around meeting Bradbury this summer, this Site would be eXplOding !!!

I had hoped to be there as of this week. Unable to at this time, I am nearly clinically depressed. Having lived in LA 18 years, I have a ton of extended family/friends whom I dearly miss. I relate to everyone I know out there as someone connected with getting to know Ray.

I am sure many things can be done to improve this Site and make it a lot more exciting. Maybe a 'New Topic' on ...how to improve this Site...should be forthcoming....

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard,

Of course we're not ALL meeting Ray this summer! Most of us have to be content with first and second hand accounts of such events. Hope you get to L.A. soon and can share your experiences with us needy types who can't even manage to cross our state lines this summer, and must vacation vicariously through the adventures of others.

Posts: 118 | Location: Gulfport. MS | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Celestial:
Gulfport sounds nice an quiet. Probably a place people GO TO on vacation....

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i already bought the yeast and everything, after finding out that my father has at least 2 gallons of dandelions in his back yard (teehee). but my sister objects and says "you ain't makin' moonshine on my back porch!" So. i guess i'll just either have to wait until i'm older, or attempt to make it on the front porch.

Posts: 3 | Location: Spartanburg, SC, USA | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Promegranate

Attempt it !
Tell 'em... it ain't Moonshine... It's Sunshine!!

posted Hide Post

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post