Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Looking for LP of October Country songs
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for LP of October Country songs
 Login/Join

posted
Back in 1968, I played on an album of songs based on the stories from The October Country. Two singer songwriters from Santa Barbara, Bob Jacobs and Denny (can't remember Denny's last name) wrote the songs, and we recorded it in LA in the spring of 1968. Ray was there for the recording, I was blown away to meet him.

Anyway, I wish I got a copy of the album back then, but I never did. Anyone know where I could find a copy (or hear of it)?

Posts: 2 | Location: Mountain View, CA USA | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Page 295 of "The Ray Bradbury Companion" lists "Songs For a Sideshow of the Mind," subtitled "Ray Bradbury's Dark Carnival." On one LP record from Tower. The book says 1970, but the only online reference I could find says 1969, so maybe it was reprinted?! Bob Jacobs adapts eight RB stories into narrative songs. Bradbury wrote the liner note. Chances of finding a copy probably not high, though there are many rare vinyl dealers online. Guess the thing to do would be to use your friend-of-a-friend connections to locate Bob Jacobs, if he's still alive. He would know whether he's willing to have this released on CD and how many copies a place such as Rhino Records would want to be assured of selling before reissuing. If not, he may at least know which rare vinyl sellers would be best to start with. Please let us know how many copies you locate and how much they are! Thanks!

[This message has been edited by dandelion (edited 07-21-2002).]

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few ideas to offer if you do locate Bob Jacobs: perhaps other songs were recorded and just the 8 best (or 8 which fit) ended up on the album. If other recordings exist (a long shot, but possible), wouldn't it be great if a CD could be released with bonus tracks, not unlike the "Dark Carnival" reissue? The CD could come with one of those booklets with both the original and a new introduction. If Bob Jacobs did write other "October Country" songs, but they were either not recorded or the original recordings don't exist, perhaps they could be recorded, either as close as possible to the way the originals were done, or *new and improved* with the latest technology!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your help; I'll post here if I ever track anything down. Bob was also a filmmaker and was on the faculty at UCSB in the early 70's, then moved back east and I lost track of him. But, I have a friend who may have his contact info...

Posts: 2 | Location: Mountain View, CA USA | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
re: Bob Jacobs: "Dark Carnival"
I was the recording enginner on the session.
It was recorded Aug.14,1969 at Fidelity Recording Studios in Hollywood..
The master was on a Ampex 8 track.
I don't know where the master is now.
I have a 7 1/2ips dub from the masters,
and the record (Tower ST-5172).
I don't know where Bob is now. If any knows, can you let me know?
The song list is:
side 1-
1- "INTRO"
2- "OCTOBER COUNTRY"
3- "THE EMISSARY"
4- "THE WIND"
5- "THE SMALL ASSASSIN"
6- "HOMECOMING"
side 2-
1- "THE ILLUSTRATED MAN"
2- "THE DWARF"
3- "THE JAR"
4- "THERE WAS AN OLD WOMAN"
5- "OCTOBER COUNTRY"(Reprise)

Lyrics: Bob Jacobs
Music: Dennis Pfister, Larry Delinger,
Bob Jacobs
Arranger- Hal Brooks
Additional arrangements- Larry Delinger,
Bob Jacobs
Musicians- The Autumn People
Recording Engineer- Randy Hauck
Producer- Bob Jacobs
A Medley Patterson West Production
for CoBert Records,Inc.
I hope that will help everyone that wants
info on the record.
Thanks,
Randy

Posts: 11 | Location: Sylmar, CA 91342 USA | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WOW, RANDY!!! That is the most interesting info which has appeared here in a long time! I'm sure what we'd most all LOVE is a COPY of the record!

posted Hide Post
Now, this is just too tempting.
This is selfish and presumptuous, I know, but maybe one of you could transfer from reel-to-reel to CD and post it somewhere so we could all download it in time for Christmas?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's wicked, but what can I say? I love it!

posted Hide Post
HI gang,
I'm sorry but I have no way ("WAY"), to make a CD from a reel to reel tape.
All I can make are audio cass.'s.... O.K.?
Thanks,
Randy

Posts: 11 | Location: Sylmar, CA 91342 USA | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Randy, Thanks for the offer! If you make 'em, we'll buy 'em!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Randy, were you actually offering to make copies, or just saying such a thing was possible?

posted Hide Post
I can make audio cass. copies, but I can't sell them...
Randy

posted Hide Post
If people either sent you blank tapes with postage, or traded you something you wanted for already-made tapes, you wouldn't be selling, right?

posted Hide Post
Yeah, yeah!

posted Hide Post
That sounds O.K. I sure don't want to get in "UNION" & "ASCAP" trouble...
If you want a audio cass. (NO CHARGE)
send me a (60min. HQ Cass.) & the return postage I'll make them..As long as there's not 100's of them.... The tape I have
is a 2 track 7 1/2 ips copied from
the org. master.

My mailing address is:
Randy Hauck
PO Box 922063
Sylmar, CA 91392

Thanks