Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Martian Stories - non-Chronicle

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Martian Stories - non-Chronicle
 Login/Join

posted
I am currently trying to collect all the stories that Bradbury wrote about Mars which are not in the Chronicles (I've got a version in Dutch in which most later stories have been added like the Fire Balloons and The Wilderness, Dark they were, with Golden Eyes etc.) The list I have come up with is the following:

- The Piper
- The Visitor
- Night Call, Collect
- The Messiah
- The One who waits
- The other foot
- The strawberry window
- The blue bottle
- The Exiles
- Jonah of the Jove-Run
- The Lonely Ones
- The Lost City of Mars
- The Love Affair
- Mr. Pale
- The Man
- Forever and the Earth
- Icarus Montgomery Wright

Most of these stories I can probably get from books in the library (collected story books) but there are three stories in this list which have not been published in a collection (as far as I know). Those are: The Piper, The Lonely Ones and Jonah of the Jove-Run. If anyone knows how to find these (or knows another Mars story I miss in my list) PLEASE let me know! I would be forever grateful.

How about that plan some people on the board talked about, to have all the Mars stories published in a Martian Chronicles II book, is that going anywhere?

[This message has been edited by minkmuts (edited 05-31-2003).]

[This message has been edited by minkmuts (edited 06-01-2003).]

Posts: 6 | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
minkmuts:
"Favorite Book/Story" postings, and other places, have a whole bunch of info on all the Martian stories left out of the original book.
'Dandelion' posted a complete list.....Take time and look thru the postings.... you'll come across a lot of info on your topic............

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I finally found this list, but it's a lot of work plowing through it. I hope the original poster will comb through it and then submit a revised list.

Someone said elsewhere that RB wrote stories on Venus (about Venus) as well. Do any of these belong thematically with the Martian stories, and if so, why? My memory of Bradbury is several decades out of date, so I have to ask: is there something that sets the Martian stories apart from all others? last night I finished watching the uncut MC mini-series (with parts cut I hadn't seen for over 23 years), and it blew me away yet again. There's something special about this.

Posts: 28 | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
>'Dandelion' posted a complete list.....Take time and look thru the postings....<

I did! That's where I found most of the stories in my list. Now you make it sound like I didn't take any efford to read everything on the board. Besides, the list is not completely complete because Dandelion missed the story 'The Messiah'.

Anyways, my question was not really about info, but about WHERE I could find the three stories The Piper, The Lonely Ones and Jonah of the Jove-Run. I was hoping perhaps these stories can be found on-line somewhere or else I could strike a deal with a Bradbury collector who can make photocopies of these stories for me for a reasonable price.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for noticing that list, which is complete as to titles but not as to category and setting. The stories at the bottom (not under headers) have not been categorized at all, and some of those which have been have not been noted as to setting. Yes, I have all three of those stories and "The Lonely Ones" will be removed from the uncollected list as soon as the new 100 stories collection appears in August.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Thanks for noticing that list, which is complete as to titles but not as to category and setting. The stories at the bottom (not under headers) have not been categorized at all, and some of those which have been have not been noted as to setting.

Aha, so some of those stories might also be Martian, but you just don't know it yet?
If you need help w/ reading and categorising the stories, I would gladly volunteer! I love reading, especially Bradbury.

Yes, I have all three of those stories and "The Lonely Ones" will be removed from the uncollected list as soon as the new 100 stories collection appears in August.

Is that the book called "100 of his most celebrated tales"?

BTW, I managed to find out in which magazines the 3 stories I am looking for appeared, but now I have no clue as to how to get those old mags (they're like 50 years old!). How did you get your hands on the stories? Is there a way I could borrow them or perhaps even copy them? I know photocopying is not really an option, but I am just so anxious to read those stories! I would not use them to make money out of them or whatever, I could even toss them to the bin 24 hours after reading them

posted Hide Post
First, THANK YOU, Dandelion for all the work you've done in making those lists! An enormous job to create AND to maintain. It's a valuable resource and I appreciate it.

As to locating old magazines...

I've bought several old magazines on the web. The old Saturday Evening Posts are especially nice--large and lushly illustrated.

I've bought from:
http://www.pastpaper.com/
http://www.oldmags.com/
http://www.abebooks.com/

You can Google for other choices. And there is always ebay.

[This message has been edited by WritingReptile (edited 06-01-2003).]

Posts: 229 | Location: Van Nuys, CA USA | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post