Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    has anybody read this?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

has anybody read this?
 Login/Join

posted
i wish i knew who wrote it, or what it's title was!!!

its about a boy whose father told him all these very strange rules
-Never eat the crust on your bread
-Never eat the seeds in an orange
-Never look up at the sky
-Always walk with your arms like this, shuffle your feet like this

if he did not follow the rules, horrible things would happen to his body.
he was told his mother was dead. when his father dies the servants have pity on him, and he learns his mother is alive and living in the city. now he thinks that his father was lying about everything, and bigins to break all the rules he had been given!
He finally goes to the city to see his mother, she is very old and on her death bed. She is horrified to see him (he was told to NEVER leave the house). She tells him that she is not human, but a fairy, and that all the rules he had been given were necessary because he was a half-breed. She dies, and horrible things begin to happen to his body.
it is a good story.
Has anybody read this?
Do you know where else i might ask?

Posts: 1 | Location: riverside,ca usa | Registered: 27 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My vote is:

It is NOT Bradbury.

Sounds too occultish!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I DO know two things.

1. This is another "Not by Bradbury" story.

2. Where else you can ask:

Here are the best sources for identifying unknown titles and authors:

"Stump the Bookseller" at Loganberry Books, at www.logan.com/loganberry is the best. Due to overwhelming popularity and demand the site owner had to move the link from the front page (it now takes several clicks to reach the Stumper page) and charge $2.00 per stumper. Stumpers can be submitted via a form or e-mail. Solutions can be sent the same way, and sending any number of guesses or possible solutions is free.

Google groups, which can be accessed at www.deja.com and include:
rec.arts.books
rec.arts.books.childrens and
rec.arts.sf.written
There have been so many stories falsely attributed to Bradbury I have a whole Bradbury thread running there, which I plan to update with these latest soon, so if you're going to submit to any of these you probably don't want to bother with this one.

Booksleuth at www.abebooks.com
The Stumper list can be viewed by going from the main page to "Reading Room" and from that to the Booksleuth area. They don't charge. They might post your stumper and they might not. (The others post ALL properly-submitted stumpers.) They don't allow for questions, such as "did your story have a--" which has helped narrow down and even identify many a story on the other sites. Any guess, no matter how far off, is posted as a "solution." If it's wrong you have to reapply to have your stumper reposted. I haven't checked back there lately but have had moderate luck with them, and they're helpful in having a broad international readership. The e-mail address is
booksleuth@abebooks.com

ExLibris, the Lost Boards, at MSN groups. Founded as a replacement for the legendary Alibris message boards, you have to join the group to receive the postings of questions and answers regarding identifying, collecting, selling, repairing, and maintaining books. A wonderful list with fine individuals but not widely known, to which I have also submitted non-Bradbury story IDs.

If you submit your description of this story to any of these places, and it appears, please let me know here so that I don't include it with my list of non-Bradbury stories, which I regularly update. Otherwise, I'll include it with them when I get to updating the list.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post