Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Jeff Spender of MC - Freeman Lowell of Silent Running Kindred Spirits

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jeff Spender of MC - Freeman Lowell of Silent Running Kindred Spirits
 Login/Join

posted
Has anyone seen the beautiful film, Silent Running? It stars Bruce Dern as Freeman Lowell, the caretaker of earth's last remaining flora in giant domes in space. When his crew is ordered to destroy the domes he commits mutiny and kills the rest of the crew to save the forests. It is a wonderful performance. I think of that character and Jeff Spender, from And The Moon Be Still As Bright, as the same person. Any thoughts?

Andy

Posts: 209 | Location: Worden, Illinois | Registered: 09 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen the film. You've got me interested, now.

I assume it's based on a novel or story . . . do you know who wrote it (assuming my assumption is correct.)?

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have seen the film, with earth's plants in domes sent into space I have a copy of the book. I will have to check on the author, Bruce Dern did do a good job. It has been a long time since I have seen the film but I think we have it in our Media/Reserve collection on Video, here at the University.
I remember Huey, and Luey the robots. It was hard to see the consequences of simple minds, at a distance.

Posts: 248 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark
I can't believe it. I thought EVERYBODY saw this film. Mr. Dark, you are really 'In The Dark' on this!! I saw this in the movie theater ..wow...long time ago!!!

Well, here's a glimpse: http://shipofdreams.net/sfmovies/silent.htm

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 08-26-2003).]

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was written as an original screenplay for film so it wasn't based on anything. You can get it on DVD with a lot of good extra features including an original documentary on the making from 1971. See it, everyone. You will never forget it. It very Ray Bradburyesque.

Andy

Posts: 209 | Location: Worden, Illinois | Registered: 09 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Silent Running was one of he first books I saw in a bookroom (way back) when I began teaching. Curiosity drew me to read the novel and later rent the movie. No one was teaching it, so I dusted it off and found some success with it for a few years. The robots, not unlike the friendly little R2-D2 of SW fame, were the protagonist's only reliable crewmates.

The MC comparison is quite accurate, Greentown! I now have my own copy of the film and view occasionally as it is a precursor of many in the genre that made it much bigger ($ and pr) in decades that followed. It does include some interesting technological concepts in movie form that were well ahead of the times (very early 70's).

The twist at the end makes for a classic confrontation of ethical perspectives. Find a copy, rent it if still available, and have some fun!

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whoops!
It must have slipped past me that it was a book as weel. Is the book you read a novelization or is it original? According to one of the documentaries, the story was changed quite a bit from the original screenplay.

Andy